Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Omega 3 fish oils!!! which is the best one?

(10 Posts)
sahara Tue 22-Mar-05 13:12:33

I have tried Omega3 fish oils in the syrup form (Haliborange) but found not much difference, can any body reccommend a brand with results?

Cosmo74 Tue 22-Mar-05 13:25:06

Sahara - I am using Boots Smart-Omega 3 which comes in strawberry flavour as DS would not take it without flavour - they say that it can take between 2 and 6 weeks to work - DS has been on it 4 weeks now and it was really last week that we started to notice he was a bit calmer - also finding out how to deal with his behaviour has helped me and I think him too - instead of constantly shouting at him and telling him he is bold I concentrate on the positives and if he has had a bad day at school I just say to try harder the next day.

Hope this helps

sahara Tue 22-Mar-05 13:41:52

I will try that one but I'll be honest and say that I gave up at 2 weeks as he seemed to get worse but I guess I should have tried harder.

princesspeahead Tue 22-Mar-05 13:52:51

I've found improvements with Kids Eskimo oil (bought after recommendations on here - do a search, there are lots of threads). it has much lower residues (eg mercury) in it than all the other brands. get it mail order off the internet. and it is tutti frutti flavour so palatable!

I found it took a good couple of months before there was a change, but then it was pretty instant. in fact I went to see her teacher for parent's evening and she said (if you had come last week I would be saying completely different things, but in the last week she has been concentrating really well and doing some really nice written work without having to be asked 10 times". so that was interesting!

Saker Tue 22-Mar-05 14:04:02

We use Eskimo Oil for my ds2 who has developmental delay and some dyspraxic type of behaviours and motor problems. EPA and DHA are the main fatty acids that are important and EPA is thought to be the most important one for concentration etc. Haliboorange has quite a lot of additives and a low EPA:DHA ratio so I would not suggest using that. Eskimo oil tastes less sweet so you may have problems getting it down but it has a good EPA:DHA ratio. Or you could try EyeQ though some people on here have found that has made their child worse maybe because of additives.

We get Eskimo oil online from www.nutriworld.co.uk and they ship out very fast without postage costs.

I think they reckon if you don't see any improvement in a couple of months then it is probably not going to help.

sahara Tue 22-Mar-05 14:23:30

I have just ordered the Eskimo Oil from Nutriworld.co.uk So I hope they deliver swiftly so that I can see if it works for him. Any change would be good. Thanks

Saker Tue 22-Mar-05 14:40:56

It usually comes in 2 or 3 days. Good luck with it. Some people report changes very quickly.

Sorry if I'm being obvious but does he have a reasonably additive free diet? Again it's not something I have experience of but I was struck in the recent Jamie Oliver school dinner thing how the kids seemed to calm down with the new dinners. And I noticed my normally fairly calm ds1 went really hyper after some Smarties the other day. You probably know more about this than me, so sorry if I'm trying to teach you to suck eggs.

sahara Tue 22-Mar-05 16:07:17

To Saker, Just saw your idea. No offense taken but I don't give him thimgs with additives just because I like natural products anyway, and the few times Dh has slipped a sweet or coke his way I haven't noticed any differance. Thanks anyway all help appreciated

Anchovy Tue 22-Mar-05 16:42:24

My children ADORE the EyeQ stuff and would happily have several times the regular dose. They are 3.5 and 1.5. DH occasionally threatens not to give it to them if they are messing around and they get all upset. They literally clamour for it at breakfast time and the little one shouts "Yoyoil" (oil) over and over and waves her arms around in a very excited manner. WTF is that all about? They have the flavoured stuff but to my mind it still has a very fishy and slightly lingering after taste.

I merely mention that because I always think it helps if you can actually get them to take it willingly!

KarenThirl Wed 23-Mar-05 07:43:06

I've tried Haliborange, Eye Q and now Eskimo Kids.

I stopped Haliborange because of the additives, in particular the preservative (sodium benzoate, I think) that's in all kids syrups including Calpol. I figured it wasn't going to help if I was giving the oils to calm down J's hyperactivity!

Eye Q seemed to work very well for a while, so much so that the psych who assessed J last time could find little difference between him and his peers (mind you, that particular psych missed lots of glaring indicators but that's another story), although the effects didnt' last. Even on higher doses he was still crazy and uncontrollable (or perhaps even because of).

I weaned it off him gradually by December so he could be supplement-free by the time he was reassessed in February. By mid-Feb I was tearing my hair out in frustration because he was so dreadful. So much so that I started him on Eskimo Kids three weeks ago (on recommendation from this site) and I believe I can see improvements already. No noticeable change in his temperament or behaviour generally, but when he goes into a tantrum I'm more able to calm him down than before. I'm hoping things will improve the longer he takes it.

Hope it works for you, too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: