Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Ideas for a turn-taking game please

(25 Posts)
Eulalia Fri 18-Mar-05 15:17:08

We are having a home visit next week from the Earlybird (autism) team and I have to do an activity with ds beforehand. This should be a turn-taking exercise which is then discussed at the visit. I thought I would try something with dd as he has a problem sharing things with her. I got snakes and ladders today but it was a waste of time – part of it didn’t fit together properly (so ds was annoyed) and dd didn’t understand it and ds didn’t have a clue about moving the counter along the board. So I guess a board game is out of the question. I feel a bit bogged down at the moment and can’t think clearly. Anyone think of a game that involves taking turns and that can be done with ds 5 ½ and dd who is 3 next month? I could try and do something with ds alone but the only time we get together is just before bed if I get dd to bed early which isn’t always every night. Thanks.

miggy Fri 18-Mar-05 15:20:56

No special needs experience but we have a very simple board game called snail race. 4 diff colour snails move along the board, take turns rolling dice and moving that colour snail. No fiddly bits and peices, move in straight line so easy to do and no one wins or loses so no tantrums!

miggy Fri 18-Mar-05 15:22:22

here it is

dinosaur Fri 18-Mar-05 15:26:54

Another suggestion - Farmyard Dominoes - like ordinary dominoes but you just have to match up the animals - no dice involved but it is a turn-taking game.

Or Tummyache - that's very good because it's funny!

Will google and see if I can find a link!

dinosaur Fri 18-Mar-05 15:27:52

tummy ache

giraffeski Fri 18-Mar-05 15:29:19

Message withdrawn

Cosmo74 Fri 18-Mar-05 15:35:46

How about just throwing a ball to each child once they catch they have to throw back to you then through to next child - pretty simple but still means they have to take turns.

beccaboo Fri 18-Mar-05 15:43:14

Pop Up Dragon from ELC is fun, they can take turns to put the flags in the slots. Or something like marble run maybe, my ds age 3 loves this. Or could you do cooking with them? Taking turns to cut out biscuit shapes or something?

maddiemo Fri 18-Mar-05 16:07:50

We did earlybird. For this session we did turn taking using a marble run. Just very basic "Mummy turn" and then "Sam turn" to drop marble down tube. My son found this hard but was only four at the time.
They give you advice in how to improve and share activities together. In cidentally we were told not to involve another person in the game as it was probably too much for the asd child to cope with. I expect in your case dd will be there and want to join in.
Are they videoing you? They did us and I did find it hard to be myself.

Eulalia Fri 18-Mar-05 17:11:36

Thanks - these are great ideas. I think I will keep it very simple for the moment. ds is struggling with arthimetic at school and the concept of transferring the numbers on the dice onto the board seems to be impossible for him just now. I think maybe even moving forward with colours on a dice may be hard.

maddiemo - ds won't be there when they visit - I think they only video Earlybird whereas I am doing Earlybird Plus for older kids (5-8). It is quite a new programme but many families found it difficult to do Earlybird because of childcare. Basically they will just ask me how I got on with the activity. I think I'll try something with him alone and also with dd. Basically the problem at the moment is getting him to share with dd and snatching things out of her hands

anniebear Fri 18-Mar-05 17:33:54

another version of pop up dragon is Pop up Pirate

Fantastic!!

It says from age 4 but I dont really know why

Ellie and Grace are 3, Grace loves it and with a bit of help Ellie can play (she is quite behind with her development) and has even done some herself

Brilliant for turn taking!

RnB Fri 18-Mar-05 20:20:44

Message withdrawn

PuffTheMagicDragon Fri 18-Mar-05 20:28:11

The Honey Tree Game £5.00 from ELC.

Jimjams Fri 18-Mar-05 20:30:33

I'd really recommend popup dragon/pirate. Even ds1 can play this with his brother with help ( it hink the turn taking bit passes him by but still!)

Mum2Ela Fri 18-Mar-05 20:36:34

No special needs experience but DD (2.5 yrs) is crap at sharing / taking turns so I have started taking her bowling with her auntie who is 10. We use the blow up bumper things and its inly about £1 per person per game after school hours and before 7pm.

I know it can't be done in the house but would this be a good idea or a definite nono?

Davros Sat 19-Mar-05 17:54:46

Even something simple like putting puzzle pieces into a form board in turn can work. Agree with Pop Up Pirate and other games like that. There's lots of variations on that theme, also Mr Pop and Gooey Louie (pull snot out of his nose and one of them makes his brain whizz out of his head, honest).

Saker Sat 19-Mar-05 19:48:49

Following the theme of marble runs, we have bought a piece of drain pipe from homebase which makes a great run for anything like marbles, toy cars, small balls etc and again could be used for turn-taking.

Saker Sat 19-Mar-05 19:49:26

Sorry don't really mean drainpipe but guttering so you can see the things going down.

Eulalia Sun 20-Mar-05 08:49:28

Thanks again - its dd's birthday next month so may ask family to get some of these things.

Love the drainpipe idea - ds has a thing about drainage!

kid Sun 20-Mar-05 08:55:58

I don't know whether this would be any good or not, but I work in a school and a game we play is called 'pass the finger' You basically start off pointing your finger up and pretend to throw it to someone. They then have to pretend to catch it and throw it to someone else. I often play it with DD 6 and DS 2 and they love it. It makes them pay attention and wait for their turn.

Merlot Sun 20-Mar-05 20:23:42

skittles?

Eulalia Tue 22-Mar-05 19:16:09

Like the finger game - simple but fun - will remember that for later.

Today I did our activity and vidoed it - didn't have to but it means I can show them when they visit tomorrow (ds will be at school). So much more can be shown on a tape. We ended up just playing with animal snap cards. Not doing snap but just taking turns to lay them out and looking for matches. Very simple but ds finds it very hard to do anything with dd other than rough and tumble stuff. He did really well till she said a tiger was a lion and he got really cross. I got a good bit on tape of him talking about this and saying that dd should be hit because she said the wrong thing. I tried to explain it was a mistake but I don't think he really understands what mistake means. Will see how it goes tomorrow. thanks again.

Saker Tue 22-Mar-05 22:06:16

We do that as a turn-taking game also with pairs. We have one with an ark where you can post them which makes a nice sort of "completion" to each time you make a match IYKWIM.

kid Wed 23-Mar-05 07:12:07

Another simple game we play at work is rolling a ball to someone else sitting in the circle and saying 'I'm rolling the ball to X' Its amazing how long an almost 3 year old will sit and play it

MandM Wed 23-Mar-05 10:05:41

Eulalia - you beat me to it! i've just read this thread and was going to suggest the animal snap cards. I've been trying this with dd, not so much for the turn-taking aspect, she seems to have grasped that concept, but more for her attention span (which is appalling, unless it's an activity she's choosen and is really interested in). We're still struggling with the pairs, she's too interested in shouting SNAP and banging the table at every opportunity...butwe're getting there and the ripping up the cards and throwing them on the floor is slowly subsiding!!!
Also, dd got an animal skittle game for Xmas (Asda's own - only cost about £5) which has five different animal skittles that stand on a platform and make different noises. It only came with one ball but we've added a couple of others and play it together to try and give her the idea that she can't roll her ball until it is her turn and all the skittles are stood back up. Again this was more aimed at keeping her attention, even when she is not directly involved, but still covers the turn taking element.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now