Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

DLA- who can claim?

(9 Posts)
lars Fri 18-Mar-05 13:52:38

My friend was saying to me that I should apply for DLA for my ds as I am restricted to working,etc. As she knows someone else who's son has ADHD/behavioural problems,etc and receives it. Who can claim and how bad do you have to be to receive it? larsxx

misdee Fri 18-Mar-05 13:56:44

if your child requires more care than a 'normal' child of the same age, and depending on how much help they need you can claim.

lars Fri 18-Mar-05 14:15:46

Yes, he does and has been given a statement for one to one support at school.

misdee Fri 18-Mar-05 14:17:33

give it a go then. u can download the form from www.dwp.gov.uk

or call 08457 123456

lars Fri 18-Mar-05 14:22:55

Thanks Misdee. larsxx

heartinthecountry Fri 18-Mar-05 14:23:35

Definitely worth applying lars - if you need tips on the kind of thing to include there was a long thread a while back where lots of people gave advice to chocol8 whose ds also has ADHD. Sorry no idea what it will have been called.... but try just searching DLA and you will come up with lots of threads I am sure.

tallulah Fri 18-Mar-05 18:46:40

lars I get DLA for my ds who has ADHD. He is now 15 & I've been getting DLA for him for a few years now (2 renewals worth!).

You really have to lay it on thick on the enormous form, & really emphasize the difference between your child & a NT child of the same age (like for example, mine gets up in the night & wanders- doesn't wash without being reminded- & has no road sense.. a normal 15 year old is starting to get real independence). HTH

Socci Fri 18-Mar-05 19:02:08

Message withdrawn

macwoozy Sat 19-Mar-05 00:08:50

Lars, just echoing with what Tallulah has said, Lay it on thick. I'm certainly not saying that your problems with your ds aren't worthy of having extra financial help, but when I first applied for my ds, I gave so much info, which I thought would give the reader a good idea of the problems my ds faced, but I still got turned down. It wasn't until I wrote a very very long letter comparing the problems my ds faced compared to other children, that I finally got DLA, high rate!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now