Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

SALT for semantic pragmatic disorder

(16 Posts)
sophy Wed 16-Mar-05 10:25:39

DS1 (6) is at the mild end of the autistic spectrum with semantic pragmatic language disorder. I would be very interested to hear from any other Mums in a similar situation whether you have had SALT and if it has been helpful. DS1 has attended a social skills group at a private SALT clinic for over a year and has made good progress, but it's terribly expensive and he has had to miss half a day's school each week for it, so I've decided to research alternatives. Would be very interested to hear of others experiences who are in a similar position. Thanks.

macwoozy Wed 16-Mar-05 10:50:09

I am in the same position as you, I put a thread similar to this at the beginning of week wondering if other mums had experience of social skills group, if at all they existed.
I'm seeing my ds's SALT on Monday. I plan to ask her about possibility of further help for my ds, such as social skills groups, role playing, that type of thing.
I'll let you know the outcome if you like.

Jaysmum Wed 16-Mar-05 10:56:38

J has SPD and we are always working on his social skills. I use the black sheep press work sheets and games at home to help him. Social stories are a great way to try and help him understand others emotions.
To be really honest our SALT is fantastic and offers us great help and support via the telephone but we only actually get to see her once every six - eight months because her work load is so heavy.I know J would benefit from extra sessions with her but these are not possible so we just muddle along in our own way.
We try and expose J to as many different situations as possible and hope that he will gradually develop a learned behaviour......takes time, but we are getting there slowly.

sophy Wed 16-Mar-05 11:12:28

Macwoozy, thanks I would be interested to hear more.

Jaysmum, where can I get hold of the black sheep publications? having seen the type of thing DS has done in his language group I think I would be able to do similar work with him at home.

newscot Wed 16-Mar-05 11:29:59

Sophy-DD 4.7 has difficulties with semantics and pragmatics. She is in the middle of her assessment at the moment so don't actually have a diagnosis.

As with jays mum we are always working on her social skills and understanding of language. Social stories are great. Also I read lots of books to her and question her as to why, what or how something happened and then we go through the process of how we reached that conclusion. I always try very hard not to make it seem like work! We also play lots of board games. Orchard Toys have some very good ones. They have a website you can order from.

Also, when she comes out with something I know nothing about I get her to explain the background. I say to her "** I don't understand what you are talking about I wasn't there. Where did this happen" She is now starting to realise that we don't share all knowledge with her.

Expose your son to lots of social situations where you can provide some guidance and were he can observe how other children behave. It is already being organised that my DD will be participating in small group work when she starts school, working especially on social situations. Could your school do something similar?

Interested to hear what others have to offer. DD is really improving but it is constant the work you have to do with her.

Blossomhill Wed 16-Mar-05 14:44:56

This site here spd parents has been a life line to me.
My dd is 5 and a half and has pragmatic difficulties. She is in a speech and language unit and is doing very, very well

Blossomhill Wed 16-Mar-05 14:45:37

Oh and dd gets 2 lots of SALT social groups every week. We are very lucky!

sophy Wed 16-Mar-05 15:08:23

Blossomhill, do you get the SALT social groups on the NHS? We were offered one batch of 6 last year in August, when we were away, and have been told we won't get any more.

Blossomhill Wed 16-Mar-05 17:11:12

It's all part of being in a SAL unit. They get onsite SALT from a NHS SALT!

binkie Tue 17-May-05 16:40:50

sophy, I've just seen the other thread where you mentioned your son's play.

On social skills or similar classes, on a SALT's suggestion I've just signed my 6yo ds (no dx, but some AS-type features, including pragmatic problems) up for a week of Perform (the little kids theatre exercises outfit) in the summer. Supposed to be good for practicing in a safe environment. I asked whether they were used to children who needed help, and they said in fact they found most people who send their kids to them are looking for that - ie, it's not aimed at those who are already budding stars. It's only two hours a day, so not too overwhelming.

Since you said he enjoyed directed imaginative play, might be an idea for your boy too?

sophy Thu 19-May-05 18:31:47

Binkie, thank you for that idea. We actually tried Perform about a year ago, we did one term of after-school classes, but stopped because DS wasn't really enjoying it and couldn't keep up. On reflection I think he was probably a bit young. Since September he has been doing another after-school drama club, this time just with children from his school in the school hall so obviously less intimidating. He loves it and has made wonderful progress -- he had one of the main speaking parts in his school assembly last week and did really well, I was so proud. I would certainly urge others with AS children to try drama classes. I hope you find it good for your ds.

roisin Thu 19-May-05 18:48:31

Sophy - it's very very hard to practice social language skills one-to-one with an adult. Personally I would have jumped at the chance for ds1 (no dx, but some AS-type features, including pragmatic problems) to attend such a group at age 5 or 6, no matter what the cost. We try to do stuff on conversational skills, but it is difficult, and most of the good material is aimed at a group situation with two adults and 4-8 children.

Great to hear your ds has made good progress with the group.

Binkie - hope your ds likes the theatre group. Please let me know how you get on.

binkie Fri 20-May-05 10:03:35

hi roisin (and thank you for your advice on dd's classmate question)! I will certainly let you know how it goes - am very heartened by sophy's endorsement, too.

Is there anything like Perform where you are?

binkie Fri 20-May-05 10:04:33

hi roisin! (- and thank you for your advice on dd's classmate question, too) I will certainly let you know how it goes - am very heartened by sophy's endorsement.

Is there anything like Perform where you are?

binkie Fri 20-May-05 10:08:30

sorry, something attacked my computer

roisin Fri 20-May-05 11:21:12

There's LOADS of children's drama here; ds1 has done a workshop, but tbh he finds the whole 'performing' thing a bit too exciting; so I don't really think it's for us. Maybe when he is a bit older.

Hope it goes well for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now