Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

DS got his Alphasmart 3000 today......

(4 Posts)
sparklymieow Mon 14-Mar-05 22:23:58

The advicery teacher went in and assessment his handwriting and his computer skills, and she had loaned an Alphasmart 300 to the school to see how he gets on, she is going back in a month and she will then ask the LEA to fund a new one for him. Finally DS has something to help him with his handwriting.

JaysMum Tue 15-Mar-05 09:00:31

Sparkly tell me more......what is it?
how does it work?
J's handwriting is such a problem for him. When we went to BIBIC they told us that J's fingers are so sensitive....I know....you should see what we go through to cut his fingernails...we have been using the desensitising programme on his hands and fingers, and whilst it has made a small improvemnet he still has problems holding a pen or pencil. His writing consisits of lots of a's and o's because the circular motion is the only way he can write.
Would be interested to know more.....I have a meeting with the EP to discus ways forward with J.

Jm

Davros Tue 15-Mar-05 09:30:39

A friend of mine's DD has one (she has ASD). It is her whole communication system, not just for writing. The problem is that she can't communicate at all unless she has her Alphasmart and someone who knows how to operate it and what she does with it. I know you would take this over NO communication but I found it very odd when I looked after her that she couldn't communicte spontaneously.
Anyway Sparkly, its great that he's got it, let's hope your LEA will fund, I don't see why not.

Davros Tue 15-Mar-05 10:23:44

Forgot to say, if you want to know more about AAC (alternative and augmentative communiction ) and VOCAs in particular (voice output communication aids) google Communication Matters in Oxford.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now