Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

2 out of my 3 boys have a psychologist's appointment....and i'm tempted to bring ds3 along for good measure!

(20 Posts)
MrsFROSTgetful Sat 12-Mar-05 12:21:54

Tom and Leigh have finally got their psychologist appointment through- and when i rang to confirm the appt- i discussed my concerns about Alex with the sectratary- mainly being that i am sure he is also ASD in some way- but we are at the point where i am waiting to be taken seriously.... i wanted to know whether he was 'in their system' etc

she phoned me back to say that the psych requested i write to her detailing my concerns-said that she'd rather 'read up on my thoughts' before we get there!

so looks like i may not have to 'sneakily' drag him along...may well be she invites him too!!!

Blossomhill Sat 12-Mar-05 12:24:33

Hello MrsF Thought I'd scared you away with the chat room

Good idea, yes I would take ds3 along definitely!!!!!!!!!!!

JaysMum Sat 12-Mar-05 12:30:26

Bloody hell Mrs F.....its 3 for the price of two down your way.....I cant even get one appointment!!!!!

coppertop Sat 12-Mar-05 15:29:05

Nice one, MrsF!

KarenThirl Sat 12-Mar-05 16:57:05

Well done. If they do complain or say he wasn't included, just say you couldn't get anyone to watch him so he had to come, then watch for fireworks. Hope it goes to plan.

MrsFROSTgetful Tue 15-Mar-05 10:48:12

yes....and even more sure we need him 'looked at' now!

He coloured his teeth with green marker pen last night.....(...i admit it is a bit funny..... but am at my whits end with his 'endearing ways')

last week he wrote on his arm from wrist to shoulder all the numbers from 0-57
(spose should encourage him as he's obviously building on his number skills)

last night - after 12 nights without a dummy- he was unable to settle- so gave him dummy (he is 6 in may...we're not talking toddlers here)
then this morning- he had wet the bed- and me thinks this is all a byproduct of the fact that we have had zero routines here for 10 days as we have had builders in 'changing' our home.
i think this has took it's toll on him the worst....

then got to school- and he flatly refused to go in- cried etc. i decided to 'test' his reasons by reassuring him that he'll be ok etc...but deep down i believe he is AS and what we're seeing is exactly what my other 2 AS sons did at age 6.
His teacher (ofcourse ....meaning well....) said it was probably attention seekining behaviour...then she tells me that yesterday she got cross with him cos he was rubbing his finger along his shoes and then licking them- then doing it again'n'again.

why is it ok for a teacher to say 'ITS NOT AS'.... what do they really know- i am bitter as i feel so crushed by the opinion of the teacher.

she really is lovely- i know that...but she just keeps saying he 'just wants to be like his brothers'!!!!!! Well Alex reminds me 100% of Tom at age 5/6...but when tom was 5 alex wasn't born....so he has NOT LEARNT THIS......and the sure ther e are times when he appears to copy them---- but it is glaringly obvious - and totally out of character... so his
'licking his shoes'...
'chewing his sleeves'
Trimmming my pastry brush'
'colouring his teeth'
removing/hiding batteries from everything-
lining up video tapes in a 28ft line....
lining wet wipes in a chequerboard effect...4ft square

etc....
just are NOT copied/learnt etc.

i am sooooo pissed off with it all at the moment.

then out of the blue just had a fantastic phonecall from a lady who runs the Autism Holiday Club that my boys go to- she rang as she was concerned i had not booked them places this easter- and rang to check....so as a result she has added them to the list....and said that after eater we can discuss maybe trialling Alex there (as we did pre-diagnosis of leigh) for a day at the next scheme- with a view to a permanent arrangement for the summer hols...she said I need the respite!!!!

She truley is an angel!

well- off to MY psychologist appt now

MrsFROSTgetful Tue 15-Mar-05 10:48:13

yes....and even more sure we need him 'looked at' now!

He coloured his teeth with green marker pen last night.....(...i admit it is a bit funny..... but am at my whits end with his 'endearing ways')

last week he wrote on his arm from wrist to shoulder all the numbers from 0-57
(spose should encourage him as he's obviously building on his number skills)

last night - after 12 nights without a dummy- he was unable to settle- so gave him dummy (he is 6 in may...we're not talking toddlers here)
then this morning- he had wet the bed- and me thinks this is all a byproduct of the fact that we have had zero routines here for 10 days as we have had builders in 'changing' our home.
i think this has took it's toll on him the worst....

then got to school- and he flatly refused to go in- cried etc. i decided to 'test' his reasons by reassuring him that he'll be ok etc...but deep down i believe he is AS and what we're seeing is exactly what my other 2 AS sons did at age 6.
His teacher (ofcourse ....meaning well....) said it was probably attention seekining behaviour...then she tells me that yesterday she got cross with him cos he was rubbing his finger along his shoes and then licking them- then doing it again'n'again.

why is it ok for a teacher to say 'ITS NOT AS'.... what do they really know- i am bitter as i feel so crushed by the opinion of the teacher.

she really is lovely- i know that...but she just keeps saying he 'just wants to be like his brothers'!!!!!! Well Alex reminds me 100% of Tom at age 5/6...but when tom was 5 alex wasn't born....so he has NOT LEARNT THIS......and the sure ther e are times when he appears to copy them---- but it is glaringly obvious - and totally out of character... so his
'licking his shoes'...
'chewing his sleeves'
Trimmming my pastry brush'
'colouring his teeth'
removing/hiding batteries from everything-
lining up video tapes in a 28ft line....
lining wet wipes in a chequerboard effect...4ft square

etc....
just are NOT copied/learnt etc.

i am sooooo pissed off with it all at the moment.

then out of the blue just had a fantastic phonecall from a lady who runs the Autism Holiday Club that my boys go to- she rang as she was concerned i had not booked them places this easter- and rang to check....so as a result she has added them to the list....and said that after eater we can discuss maybe trialling Alex there (as we did pre-diagnosis of leigh) for a day at the next scheme- with a view to a permanent arrangement for the summer hols...she said I need the respite!!!!

She truley is an angel!

well- off to MY psychologist appt now

coppertop Tue 15-Mar-05 11:37:25

That's fantastic news about the Holiday Club, MrsF. I know how much it helped me when ds1 was given 2 short sessions a week at the summer playscheme. Getting Alex a place with his brothers is great.

Early on with my ds2 it was suggested that perhaps he was just copying ds1. The thing is that the things ds2 was doing were things that ds1 had stopped doing before ds2 was even born or shortly after.

Good luck with the appointment, MrsF. Don't let the teacher's comments get you down.

JaysMum Tue 15-Mar-05 11:42:50

Great news about the holiday club Mrs F...
have a nision in my head of your ds giving a huge grin.....green teeth and all!!!!Bless....sometimes the little things our children do can be sooooo funny....I just wouldnt have been able to keep a straight face....even though I know it can be frustrating at times.

Are you still up for meeting at Butlins???????
Hubby has booked day off work so we will be there...

macwoozy Tue 15-Mar-05 12:01:38

You've certainly got your hands full. I'd be begging for respite care.
With all your experience of AS, surely you are the best judge on whether you think your ds has AS or not.
I am surprised by your teachers comments, especially reading the list of typical behaviours your ds exhibits oof ASD. That sounds just like my ds, although he's not quite there with the licking of shoes yet
Good news about holiday scheme, I've just managed to get my ds on such a scheme for Easter called Disability Challengers, and I'm jumping up and down with relief that I've finally found a place.
Good luck with the appt.

Blossomhill Tue 15-Mar-05 12:02:19

Great news MrsF

Really hope it all goes well this afternoon x

MrsFROSTgetful Tue 15-Mar-05 14:55:54

YES! JaysMum...still on for the meeting of great minds @ Butlins!!! CAT me if i don't you !

Blossomhill Tue 15-Mar-05 17:27:08

Hope it all went well MrsF x

MrsFROSTgetful Tue 15-Mar-05 18:01:13

BH- Thanks...will contact u laterxxx
hope u r feeling better!

coppertop Tue 15-Mar-05 18:13:48

I hope you two aren't planning on behaving yourselves at Butlins?

JaysMum Tue 15-Mar-05 20:06:37

Im sure Mrs F will be a complete poppet....me however....I never behave myself....do I Bloss????
Regular Bad Girl me!!!!!!

Blossomhill Tue 15-Mar-05 21:48:25

Yes MrsF, be careful. You've been warned!!!!!!!!

Blossomhill Tue 15-Mar-05 21:51:24

Mrs F - trying to add you on my msn list and it won't let me. I wanted to be able to chat with you
Says there is a problem with your connection???
Bx

MrsFROSTgetful Thu 17-Mar-05 09:14:14

Yesterday Alex hid Tom's school shirt just as we were already running late....ofcourse in another life i would have been organised and hhad another clean one for him to put on- till we found the 'lost' one.

Its continual behaviour like this that absolutely wears me out- i just give up. It seems so trivial....but it's all the time and i feel like i cannot put anything down safely,

By the way..... when i spoke to Alex's teacher the other day and amongst other things io mentuioned him chewing his sweatshirt sleeves....all she did was asked all the other kids in the class to put up their arms...so she could show me their chewed sleeves....obviously to her it is insignificant....but to me ....well snob that i am i want my kids to look cared for in cared for clothes etc....and secondly the sweatshirts cost £8 each..... and finally..... bit peeved that she 'just accepts' that 20+ kids in her class chew their sleeves.

coppertop Thu 17-Mar-05 09:25:28

Oh MrsF. How long is it until the psychologist's appointment for ds1 and ds2? Have they decided yet whether you should take ds3?

The bit about having only one clean shirt available sounded so familiar though. Glad I'm not the only one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now