Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Get I get any help with maintaining a tidy house

(10 Posts)
lourobert Mon 03-Nov-08 16:46:12

Hi all....I work 30 hours a week, im a single parent and have a severely disabled child.

Is there any entitlement to help with maintaining and cleaning your house? blush I just find that im really struggling to keep on top of things.and I hate having a messy house. I dont really like the thought of a stranger coming in but after consideration thought it was at least worth finding out about

I feel that if I do it at weekends Im doing little man out of his swimming and other therpay etc.

Is this a stupid request? I suppose if you dont ask then you dont get!!

needmorecoffee Mon 03-Nov-08 16:49:41

do you have a social worker? You may be able to get direct payments for respite and for some cleaning help. Its not common though. I've finally been awarded 2 hours cleaning a week after 4 years of asking (dd is severely disabled and I have multiple sclerosis) but only for 12 weeks!

anonandlikeit Mon 03-Nov-08 16:50:52

Yes, do you have a social worker?
I have a friend with a severely disabled child, she doesn't work but has a younger child (nt).

She decided to stop tidying before her SW visited & the sw commented on hoe untidy the house was.

Hey presto! they provided a cleaner/home help.

lourobert Mon 03-Nov-08 16:52:51

Thought it was a bit of a cheeky ask to be honest....I think I just need to organise myself a little better.

Dont have a social worker. Im not in need of respite as I have good family support. Little man doesnt sleep though so when hes with his dad- i catch up on sleep!!

I just need to get oprganised I think

needmorecoffee Mon 03-Nov-08 16:55:15

course its not cheeky. you work nearly full time then get in and care for your child. When do you get a break? Respite should be for a break, not cleaning.

anonandlikeit Mon 03-Nov-08 16:57:37

not cheeky at all, if you don't ask someone else will.

nikos Mon 03-Nov-08 20:28:27

Do you get DLA? I've just applied and if I get it I'm going to use some of it to get help with housework. I've got 3 children and I feel taking care of the house gets in the way of time I could be helping ds. I don't think it's a daft request at all.

Mitchell81 Mon 03-Nov-08 20:46:03

I applied for Direct payments hoping to use them to get someone to clean the house. SW says we can't use the money for cleaning, it needs to be used for someone to look after DD. So now I have to decide what I am going to do during the 6 hours per week that someone is coming to the house.

iam2shoesstalker Mon 03-Nov-08 20:56:06

Mitchell - clean! grin

(joking)

lourobert Mon 03-Nov-08 21:14:06

Im a social worker myself wink but dont know too much about children with disabilities social worky stuff with ds not having one (although may do soon having applied for a job in CWD- not in my area though!!?!)

I think I may call the team tomorrow and see how quickly someone could come out and do an assessment of my needs cos at the moment it is more about me as DS has every angle covered right now!!

thanks all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now