Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

What's 'normal' in Dyspraxic children?

(14 Posts)
VictorianSqualor Sun 02-Nov-08 12:04:11

and how to those of you whose children have dyspraxia cope with it?

DD is constantly clapping and jumping and rolling around and it's driving me to distraction. I know she can't help it and I feel shit that it bothers me, I mean it could be much worse, right?

Since we discovered she was dyspraxic though everything she does that I would tell her brother off for myself and DP find ourselves asking 'Is it the dyspraxia?'

She makes weird sounds and noises all the time, horrible noises, like screeches and I panic thinking she has hurt herself and she gets really over-excited. Are there any methods you use to help them control it?

She is also terrible at sleeping, finds it hard to get to sleep then gets up early and is constantly thinking about food, is this dyspraxia or just my little girl?

I just wish I knew what was her normal personality traits and what was the dyspraxia.sad

VictorianSqualor Sun 02-Nov-08 17:52:40

?

LIZS Sun 02-Nov-08 17:59:01

Sorry but there isn't a "normal" as each child is affected differently. ds is fidget and OT has helped with core strength and positioning but if he is concentratng he has to fiddle with something or adjust his body position as if he can't focus well on 2 things at once. Food could be a similar "need" as chewing or mouthing objects is also common (partly sensory). He sleeps well but if he thinks he needs to wake at a specific time he is very rigid about it ! What therapy is she having ?

VictorianSqualor Sun 02-Nov-08 18:07:02

We're waiting to see the OT.

Peachy Sun 02-Nov-08 18:07:25

The last line- you'll nevcer know, thats the truth of it. Same for any invisible disability i think: obviously things are accentuated- but you kno, ds3 could still be a geeky obsesive even if he weren't ASD smile

Its a long term thing, working out ot which behaviours are antural to her but which behaviours can be changed: these will be a mix of both, iyswim- 'atural' and dyspraxic tendencies.

Sorry know I dont have a dyspraxic child but so much of your OP is universal in any gigher functioning child I think, regardless of final DX!.

Are you doing the fish oils? they're good for concentration obv (BIBIC told us to try flax seed or eskimo oil, eye-q is good but some parents report hyperactivity).

FWIW a fiddly nevery-rest child is a bit of a PITA and can wind up anyone regardless of dx or the aprents having the patience of a saint; ds2 drives me batty with this (as you know, NT <<atm but dont even go there- school arrrghhh LOL>>), and twinset has a similar tead from a NT perspective running as well.

LIZS Sun 02-Nov-08 18:07:55

That should help , how old is she ?

LIZS Sun 02-Nov-08 18:12:12

agree with Peachy re last sentence. ds may have "social issues" or perhaps he is just naturally reserved. You can never really know.

VictorianSqualor Sun 02-Nov-08 18:17:49

She's almost 8.

LIZS Sun 02-Nov-08 18:21:27

If she is aware of it they can give her distraction techniques for situations like school

Niecie Sun 02-Nov-08 18:22:56

She sounds very like my DS. He sees and OT and imo his main problems are dyspraxia related (as agreed by the OT) but he has a dubious dx of AS.

He is 8 yrs old and doesn't go to sleep easily (usually not asleep before 9.30 - 10pm) although wakes quite late except at weekends hmm.

But the flapping, clapping, rolling around, never being still and pacing sound so familiar. He is better than he was but there are triggers like boredom or playing on the computer too much or even watching something that is too exciting on telly.

We were told to ignore it (like it is the easiest thing in the world) but we remind him to calm down when it gets too much for us. We think he needs to know that it isn't normal behaviour for older children and adults. He has calmed a bit but now he is older if he really has to do it he takes himself out of the room and paces the hall which saves our sanity and probably his since he has a compulsion to do it.

He also thinks about food all the time and is getting a bit porky. He is having difficulty controlling his appetite I think, like he has trouble controlling other impulses and behaviours.

Noises are such as issue although he can make a huge amount of noise and fuss when things don't go his way.

Whether this is the dyspraxia or not I don't know but it sounds like my son.

needmorecoffee Sun 02-Nov-08 18:25:28

ds2 has dyspraxia but he's easy compared to ds1 with aspergers and dd2 with cerebral palsy
He does fiddle though until something breaks and quite often tells you his entire dream or a book he's read and fail to notice you are rolling eyes etc. He is upset he can't ride a bike at 13. He has tried so many times sad

octavia Sun 02-Nov-08 18:32:04

You have probably tried this with your Ds ,needmorecoffee,but I finally managed to teach my Ds to ride a bike by getting him to practise on a exercise bike,so that he could practise pedelling without the bike moving.When he mastered that(took a couple of weeks) he was more confident to try his proper bike.Again it took another couple of weeks but he did it.

Peachy Sun 02-Nov-08 19:15:35

VS if the she's only 8 was in relation to the wriggly bit- ds2 is 8 at the end of January smile

VictorianSqualor Mon 03-Nov-08 08:10:08

It wasn't, it was cos LIZS asked how old she was smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now