Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Hyperactive at eleven months -Is this normal??

(8 Posts)
breakfastinbed Tue 28-Oct-08 23:45:27

I hope you don't mind me posting in this topic...

My DS2 NEVER EVER sits still even for a minute. This has recently extended to meal times when he can no longer sit in his high chair even though he loves his food (immediately climbs out). It also continues all night: while he is asleep he is very restless waking frequently and unable to self-soothe. This then culminates each night in a long period (typically two hours) of waking completely, and intermittantly playing, whinging, writhing and screaming throughout. I have tried ignoring him and i have tried offering him anything (milk, cuddles, singing, dummies, etc) that he might want. -Nothing calms him down during these periods until finally he collapses, tearfully in exhaustion. (As do i sad.)

I also have a boisterous, energetic 3yr old who could crawl/walk/run over great distances from her earliest days so i know what a lively kid looks like. -But this is something different.

I feel in my bones that there is something wrong here and i wondered if anyone had any ideas...?

Thank you and sorry for long post.

breakfastinbed Tue 28-Oct-08 23:55:53

(I should add that DD1 was also a terrible sleeper until nearly 2yrs but, again, this is a whole different level.)

Arabica Wed 29-Oct-08 00:48:25

I don't know about hyperactivity, but I'm sure someone who does, will be along soon. Are there any other symptoms or behaviours you're concerned about? Is he worse after eating particular foods?

MannyMoeAndJack Wed 29-Oct-08 08:11:33

If you have concerns, which you do, then you could ask your HV/GP for some professional advice? My ds was (and is!) very active; in fact, at my 20wk scan with him, the sonographer and her assistant were amazed at how active he was and asked me whether I could feel all his kicks, such was the extent of his constant movement!

My ds didn't behave entirely as you describe your ds (e.g. he didn't wake at night) but he was active during the day, didn't really know what to do with himself, etc) but FWIW, he does meet the criteria for ADHD (he's almost 6yrs old) but he has not been formally dx because we didn't want to medicate him (odd logic I know!). Myh ds has other SN too so it's not easy to compare him with your ds. Would you say your ds has some play skills, such that he can entertain himself a little bit during the day?

I would have your local health team have a look at him (this could be an informal visit to your home by your HV if you'd prefer) to put your mind at rest. Good luck.

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 29-Oct-08 09:14:29

I would speak to the GP rather than the HV as such issues are often outside their remit.

The GP should refer you to a developmental paediatrician (note that type of paed, certainly not a community paed).

breakfastinbed Wed 29-Oct-08 12:28:45

Thanks so much all of you. Yes i do want to talk to the GP and poss get a referral to an expert (thanks for specifiying Attila) but i had the usual anxiety about being dismissed as a neurotic. -But hey, i can cope with that.

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Wed 29-Oct-08 12:31:36

I'd also have a look at Stanley Greenspan's book "the challenging child' think that's what it's called). It'll be relevant whether there turns out to be other issues or not.

breakfastinbed Wed 29-Oct-08 22:39:01

Ok ta, I'll look it up.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: