Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Why aren't disabled toilets disabled friendly???

(14 Posts)
lainey1802 Mon 27-Oct-08 15:20:22

I have yet to find a disabled toilet that is suitable for changing my sons pads. He is 15 and still in nappies and I don't see that changing. I have never come across a public toilet that accomodates a fixed bench on which to change adults. Have you ever tried to deal with a dirty nappy with a DS standing up??? - well don't try it - it's a nightmare! Having the rails etc is fine if they have all been fitted correctly, having a toilet big enough to get a wheelchair in and turn around is another bugbear. I end up having to take a towel with me and change him on the floor - not very dignified and hygienic atall. (that's if there is room with the wheelchair too)

I wonder if I ever asked a consultant/paed/GP to change his/her son/daughter/grandchild on the floor of the public or hospital toilet what their reaction might be - one of total horror and disbelief I would imagine - but it's ok for us to do???

Anyone ever had a good experience and can name a wonderful diabled friendly toilet in the country???

needmorecoffee Mon 27-Oct-08 15:21:45

the new cabots circus in bristol has an accessible toilet with a hoist and changing facilities. first one i have ever seen.

filz Mon 27-Oct-08 15:21:53

I completely agree with you!!!!!

the ONLY place I have found that is actually a suitable disabled toilet is at my local swimming baths. Not only does it have a bench but it also has a hoist!

amber32002 Mon 27-Oct-08 15:25:10

No, haven't come across anything but horror stories round here, but I can tell you of one of my fellow advisers who was assured by a group of architects that they had designed these marvellously accessible loos. So she made them try to access them whilst sitting in a wheelchair. Total embarrassing failure by them. Point made grin.

lainey1802 Mon 27-Oct-08 15:26:26

Thanks needmorecoffee - Bristol is a bit of a way to come for me but I will keep it in mind - it was probably a WOMAN behind the design - I bet ya!!

Thanks filz - our swimming pool isnt too bad, town centre one rubbish but one 10 miles away pretty helpful.

MerlinsBeard Mon 27-Oct-08 15:28:47

i have often thought that. they all seem to have outwards opening doors too. i don't know how hard that is to manoeuvre in a wheelchair though tbh. I suppose that if they catered for every possible disability then the room would be ENORMOUS and space is a premium in some places.

Have to say that i once saw a disabled loo UP STAIRShmm

ewwwmy2shoesarefullofblood Mon 27-Oct-08 15:29:17

I have never found a disable loo that dd can use, she falls down the hole!
so I use the disabled loo and a slipper bed pan, that way no lifting.

needmorecoffee Mon 27-Oct-08 15:31:54

its the first time i have seen one.

TotalChaos Mon 27-Oct-08 16:45:27

new local swimming pool shower room (Liverpook) looked reasonably good - it had an adult sized thingy someone could lie on for I think showering principally, but also looked OK for changing. Didn't notice if it had a hoist.

BriocheDoree Mon 27-Oct-08 19:01:35

Oooh, I remember once seeing a website that listed proper disabled loos that included changing for adults and stuff like that and I can't remember where it was. I'll see if I can dig it out. Must admit, I don't think that disabled loos look very easy to use!

supportman Mon 27-Oct-08 19:44:55

I am quite disapointed at the disabled facilities at a leisure center that had a multi-million pound rebuild recently, who boast that the building is fully accesssable.

They could have made really good facilities at that cost, instead the disabled changing room has nothing to change a older child or adult with profound disabilities and they put the room right next to a bloody great supporting post and the other changing cubicles and getting into the room is very difficult.

glitteryb6 Mon 27-Oct-08 21:30:08

here's the site that tells you where they all are

www.changing-places.org

Thomcat Mon 27-Oct-08 21:34:28

My DD is 7 at the end of this year and also still in nappies. I couldn't agree with you more. Sadly have never come across a toilet that I didn't have to lie her down on the floor in.

filz Tue 28-Oct-08 07:43:10

its awful isnt it? I would rather change her accross the back seat of the car but it isnt very private or dignified. Though whats dignified about lying a child on the FLOOR ffs of a disabled toilet is beyond me

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now