Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Do all children with Angelmans have seizures?

(9 Posts)
mumgoingcrazy Mon 27-Oct-08 11:41:31

DD2 is currently undergoing various tests and scans to determine the reason for her GDD and various sensory processing issues. One of the conditions she is being tested for is Angelmans. She does seem to fit the criteria however has never had a seizure, so wondered as she hasn't had one whether it is still likely she may have this. Thanks in advance.

filz Mon 27-Oct-08 11:43:25

no they dont all have seizures but they have a tendency to develop epilepsy

Angelmans and Retts is usually what they test for 'first' though. I think its because they are the most common or the rare syndromes and they are easily tested for (cheaply) Try not to worry x

mumgoingcrazy Mon 27-Oct-08 11:46:56

Thanks filz.

I've got 2 months to wait, it's killing me. I'm diagnosing her with all sorts. I just wish I knew!

monstermansmum Wed 29-Oct-08 16:12:56

How old is your DD? Epilepsy is usually seen in most AS individuals and they are known to 'grow'out of it in thir teenage years. (not all do however)See www.angelmanuk.org or tel 0300 999 0102 (helpline/support (me at the mo!) for more info or support. It is possible to have AS as a clinical dx (inconclusive test results but they fit the criteria) also other various karyotypes, deletion, Uni-Parental Disomy, UBE3A mutation etc. Dont worry. There are around 500 registered members of ASSERT and about another 500 not registered. If you get a dx you are not alone! x

mumgoingcrazy Wed 29-Oct-08 19:10:03

Thanks MM. DD2 is 16 months. They are testing for lots of things, but this one jumped out at me. I know another little boy with Angelmans and he is just gorgeous, but I just worry so much about her future. I think if I had a dx I would know where we are heading more. Thanks again.

lou031205 Wed 29-Oct-08 19:17:31

I can sympathise, as we have been at the hospital recently for 24 hr ECG, EEG, etc and are awaiting the results of a FISH test (blood) for Williams syndrome. Interestingly, the symptoms aren't too dissimilar to Williams in some areas.

We were told up to a month for the results, but we go to see the Consultant on Friday for other results, and I am secretly hoping that they will miraculously be back.

mumgoingcrazy Wed 29-Oct-08 19:24:36

Fingers crossed for you lou. How old is your DC and what is the dx at the moment? DD2 was always been GDD but these tests are to see if anything is causing it.

lou031205 Wed 29-Oct-08 20:25:50

Hi mgc, she is very nearly 2.11, flagged SN last month and now has 1:1 in pre-school. Early days, no dx yet.

mumgoingcrazy Wed 29-Oct-08 20:29:17

Great she's already getting 1:1, good luck with the tests. xx

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: