Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

ASD books can anyone tell me a good book i can get to help self DX of DD

(6 Posts)
Kazann Sun 26-Oct-08 20:35:08

Can anyone help i know it can take a very long time to get a professional DX and though i have read loads on the internet etc would like to get a few good books on the subject so i know what i am talking about a bit more anyone know of any good ones that maybe helpful.

Niecie Sun 26-Oct-08 21:05:45

Are you expecting a dx of autism or AS?

I don't really know much about books specifically on autism but the AS book that was much recommended to me when DS1 was being dxed with AS was 'Aspergers Syndrome' by Tony Attwood.

It is pretty comprehensive and worth a read.

I was just checking Amazon to make sure I had the correct title and found this. Looks like Tony Attwood has written a more up to date version of the book I was suggesting which was published back in 1997.

Simon Baron-Cohen is an important and well known researcher in the field of autism and [[ www.amazon.co.uk/Autism-Asperger-Syndrome-Facts-Baron-Cohen/dp/019850490X/ref=sr12?ie=UTF8&s=books &qid=1225054997&sr=1-2 this]] looks like it might be worth a read. I haven't read it but it looks like it might be interesting.

Niecie Sun 26-Oct-08 21:07:27

Pah - I'll try that second link again.

Hope this works.

Kazann Sun 26-Oct-08 21:17:52

Sorry didnt make that very clear did i dont think its aspergers, but am almost sure DD is on the autistic spectrum somewhere not sure where though feeling bit confused with it all at the moment just need some answers as we are looking for another school for her and i want to make sure it is the right one this time as this will be her 4th school and she is only 7 thanks for the link will have a look.

nannynick Sun 26-Oct-08 21:33:57

If in the UK, contact your local NAS branch and see what they have in their branch library.

Understanding Autism for Dummies is a quite good introduction to Autistic Spectrum Disorders.

Tony's books are also good, though some are quite heavy going I found.
Try Asperger's and Girls

Kazann Mon 27-Oct-08 11:50:07

Thank you there are some good ones going to order a few and have a good read up

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now