Advanced search

please please help

(12 Posts)
Lozzy100 Wed 22-Oct-08 19:59:04

Hi i have a little girl who is coming up for 10 years, she has been diagnosed with GDD, she also has delayed speech and langauge, she struggles in maintaining friendships, and is very very behind for her years. She cannot follow more than one instruction at a time..i.e take your shoes off, put your coat up etc etc.
She cannot wash herself or wipe her bottom, she often wets herself at school. As a result of this she is often bullied at school she bottles up all of her frustrations until i collect her where she will lash out at me and her siblings, and often self harms. I am fighting like mad to try and get help but no one is interested, she does get 20 hours a week at school for extra help, but we know she does not get that amount, she is statemented. We are trying to get her out of mainstream school as that was never our choice of school for her.

Please if anyone knows of anything that we can do to help her or how to get the right help please please let us know. i am so scared for her as i just dont know what the future holds for our little girl.

Many thanks Lorraine. x

vjg13 Wed 22-Oct-08 20:04:24

Have you found a school you would like her to go to?

ALMummy Wed 22-Oct-08 20:05:15

Hi, I don't know what to say to you, I just wanted you to get a response. My ds has HFA and is struggling at school. We are in the process of applying for a statement, whatever good it will do.

We live in London and have had great help, the school is fab. It sounds like your dd is in totally the wrong place for her needs. Someone will be along soon with good advice. Sorry I cant be more help. Have you approached your GP for more help? I think a lot depends on where you live. You are in the right place now though. There are so many people going through similar on this board.

mehgalegs Wed 22-Oct-08 20:06:15

Is there a good special school nearby. I am not an expert as my son withh GDD has not started school yet but as she has a statement would a special school give her (and you ) more support?

Lozzy100 Wed 22-Oct-08 20:11:52

Yes i have but the education department keep refuseing as they like to keep all special needs kids in mainstream school, and since the school keep saying they can cope with her and she has made baby steps in some areas, they say its best for Jade to keep her in mainstream, but i am hopeing to see a school friday who do their own admisions so it wont have to go through education.

Does this get any easier as they get older? her behaviour is very challenging to say the least i have 4 children my oldest daughter is 16 and the other week Jade stabbed her luckily it was sharp and she did not put enough pressure there to do any damage, what would happen if this continues and she gets bigger and stronger

She is always smileing and is always clapping her hands and panting with happiness, and just lights up the room, but then she can flip out and all hell breaks loose. I just dont know what the future holds for her, i have contacted social services who told me i have to make contact with the dissability support workers for her to be assessed. I dont know what this means or if they will help as this GDD is a dust bin diagnosis and means nothing, she has had a brain scan when she was 4 years old and it showed up that she had loss of volume to the temporal lobe, for the life of me i dont even know what that means, as no one can explain it.
I am so frustrated with everything we cannot go out and leave her as she kicks off at her siblings and others around her, not even to the shops without being called on our mobiles to get home quick.

Sorry this has turned into a woe is me post

Thanks for listening Lorraine x

vjg13 Wed 22-Oct-08 20:23:32

Lorraine, you will have to prove to the LEA that the current school is not meeting her needs and that the new one will.

Is the school that you would like within your LEA?

Lozzy100 Wed 22-Oct-08 20:30:11

I am not sure, but i can find out.

We had a meeting last tuesday for her annual review.

There was the head teacher, Jades teacher, the schools secretary, someone from education and myself, i disagreed at the meeting with alot of things the school were saying, especaily the goals she has supposed to of met, as they are saying she has moved up 2 groups from P levels in just 12 months, now i know this is rubbish, but it all falls onto the fact they get funding for her and they dont want to loose that. At least that is how i see it. I am sick of other ppl telling me whats best for my little girl.

Lorraine xx

vjg13 Wed 22-Oct-08 20:55:34

Do you think she gets the appropriate level of speech therapy and would it be better at the school you would like?

Are there any other therapies she needs and doesn't get at her current school?

It may be difficult to get the LEA to agree to moving her and you will need some specialised advice. IPSEA run a help line but are hard to get hold of.

Lozzy100 Wed 22-Oct-08 20:59:28

My daughter has a speech therapist that goes into the school once a week for an hour, at the specail needs school there is one there.

I am not sure what other things jade needs, as i know very little about GDD, no one can tell me what it is or how to deal with it.

I have looked online all day today for helplines etc,, but have drawn a blank there is not many support groups if any that deal with GDD.

vjg13 Wed 22-Oct-08 21:09:04

GDD is just a general term to describe children with general learning difficulties without an underlying cause and will vary in its severity.

When you have a look round the special school ask the head teacher's advice and if they have a place and it is within your LEA it may be easy to have her moved.

magso Wed 22-Oct-08 23:41:24

I am so sorry you are not being listened too!
I cannot remember the exact proceedure but I imagine that if you have just had a statement review, now would be a good time to urgently demand consideration of your views (in writing) and get experts on your side! Would it be wise to contact ConSENsus 01284757788 - they are an independent mediation service run by Mencap. ACE will know the law and have a helpful website and booklets.
Does your DD still have a paediatrician? Have your dds learning disabilities (and any other disabilies) been documented - in terms of learning disability rather than GDD. (My experience is that leas take more notice of labels!!) If not maybe the GP could refer to a developmental paediatrician.
I was in a similar position 2 years ago but ds ( 9 very soon) was younger. He has been in special for a year now and he is so much happier, less stressed (and gentler) and better cared for. We had to ask for a change in provision. (Actually I asked for a split placement, with FT special as a second choice we didnt get the split but it made them sit up and listen!).
I had to be very proactive - sought out a suitable school with an offerable place, and then set out to prove why that school would be better for ds. I also had to read between the lines!!
Also are there any sn clubs your dd could join - to give you a break and dd some independence. Again mencap may know of suitable clubs. Good luck!

Lozzy100 Thu 23-Oct-08 13:10:56

Thank you all for your information and support, i am waiting for a senco of a special needs school to call me to see if they will accept jade for their school. I am so hopeing they do.

Will let you know how we get on.

Many thanks Lorraine x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: