Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Potty Training DS4, four days in and he's not really getting it - any advice much appreciated

(4 Posts)
mehgalegs Wed 22-Oct-08 10:25:56

He has GDD he is 3 1/2. He has shown positive signs, tells me when he is wet or dirty, tells me when he is in process of weeing, sits on potty or trainer seat.

He has a two week half term so whilst the others are still at school I thought we would go for it. We have new pants (ITNG and Thomas, very groovy)and potties galore his success rate after 4 days is 0%.

He told me he needed a poo earlier, clutched his bum and signed toilet so I sat him on the trainer seat, sat next to him with a book for a good 10 mins, I suddenly heard a plop, I cannot tell you how excited I was, lots and lots of praise and cheering, got him off, no pooh, just a sodding piece of white plastic that had fallen off the seat, I cried, really, I was so disappointed.

Portage worker said give it 2 weeks, if no luck then leave it for now.

I think he likes the security of the nappy, sitting him on the potty every hour is not working, he tends to have accidents when he is distracted (telly, mealtimes, car). He actually gets quite panicy when he feels he needs to go and he has pants on.sad

Any advice? Should I persevere? He didn't poo yesterday and I don't want his old constipation probs to start up again.

Saker Wed 22-Oct-08 10:37:51

It sounds unlikely that he will get it by the time your other DC are off school - do you feel able to carry on through their half-term also? If not, I should abandon it now and enjoy the last couple of days with your Ds4 to yourself. It sounds like it is stressing you out and it might be easier in a few months. You could always keep a regular time once a day for sitting him on the potty, e.g. before his bath or first thing in the morning, but not worry about it at other times. I found with Ds2 (who has only just got it now at age 7 and we still have the odd accident) that sitting him first thing in the morning worked well (because he was dry at night before he was in the day) and gave him the idea of what he was supposed to do.

I had to laugh about your potty story although I can see it wasn't funny at the time.

mehgalegs Wed 22-Oct-08 10:50:57

Thanks Saker - I can laugh at it too now.

I think you are right, I might leave it for a bit. It is stressful. Warmer weather is always better too for nudey bums in the garden (less washing then).

He had an operation to repair and move the hole in his willy back in April too so he need to wee regularly t stop complications with that (the hole can close apparently ).

filz Wed 22-Oct-08 10:53:04

just leave his nappy on and take him to potty every hour. Then you will be able to see if there is a pattern emerging...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now