Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

DS's first cranial sacral therapy tomorrow - what will happen

(8 Posts)
mamadadawahwah Tue 08-Mar-05 10:21:56

Can anyone tell me what a cranial sacral therapist does? Is it manipulation of the head? Are there questions i should ask, or things i should note down to tell her that are specific to help her?
many thanks

beccaboo Tue 08-Mar-05 10:29:44

It is the same as cranial osteopathy. It is manipulation of the fluid in the spinal cord that runs between the cranium and the sacrum. She will probably just lay her hands gently on your ds' neck, back and head. She will want to know general health details as well as details of his birth and any trauma/accidents he has had.

emz31 Tue 08-Mar-05 10:32:58

they are truly fabulous people. DS went to 2 appointments to try to cure him waking in the night every 2 hours. the cranial osteopath took all his birth history etc, then gently manipulated his head and body. turns out his bones in his skull hadn't aligned properly as he was a quick birth and he also had tension in his neck and abdomen. he fixed him completely and he's slept through the night since. i really can't recommend them highly enough.

heartinthecountry Tue 08-Mar-05 11:47:17

I asked my friend who is an osteopath to explain the difference between cranio-sacral and cranial osteopathy. She said they are very similar but a cranio-sacral therapist will only manipulate the bones whereas cranial osteopaths work on bones, fluid and tissue.

But from an observational point of view they look pretty much the same. 'Manipulation' sounds a bit scary but the movements are hardly visible. I always come away thinking 'what did they do?' but the results can be amazing.

stringbean Tue 08-Mar-05 11:54:09

My dd - 5 months old - is currently having cranial osteopathy for glue ear (she has an underlying deafness, with glue ear on top). Not sure if its helping the glue ear as such (very hard to tell in a young baby with poor hearing), but has done wonders for her head control, which was always poor, so she now holds it up well, is happy to lie on her front (which she never was before) and is starting to roll. This alone is invaluable, as the sooner she has good head control, the sooner a more in-depth assessment can be made of her hearing. The treatment is very gentle manipulation of the bones in her head, although my osteopath also looked at her back and hips as well. She slept through the first treatment, and has been happy to look at toys during the other sessions. The osteopath will want a general history of you and your baby and any health problems, including details of your labour and delivery. Good luck.

bundle Tue 08-Mar-05 12:05:59

interesting

beccaboo Tue 08-Mar-05 20:21:40

I think also that you can only call yourself a cranial osteopath if you're qualified as a conventional osteopath. Otherwise you have to call yourself a sacro cranial therapist.

mulsey Tue 08-Mar-05 21:49:13

My dd who has just turned 4, has had this therapy almost monthly since birth, we wouldnt be without it. For me its a kindae leap of faith thing, as I know whats shes doing to my daughter, but I dont fully understand it. However, I just know that its helping. My dd doesnt much like it, but she just doesnt like being touched, which doesnt help. So take lots of your childs favourite things, as it helps keep their mind of off the treatment. We notice an immediate difference, as my usually quiet daughter after a treatment will babble and laugh and point to objects for the rest of the day. Good luck....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now