Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Babysitters for non talkers, are there any?

(6 Posts)
mamadadawahwah Tue 08-Mar-05 10:09:32

Does anyone know if there are specially trained babysitters who will come into your home and babysit kids with learning delays? I have never let anyone babysit my son, not even family ( i stay at home) but its two years and I would love a break. The thought of taking him to someone elses home, though is terrifying as it would be new to him.

onlyjoking9329 Tue 08-Mar-05 12:45:50

mencap and crossroads might be able to help with this, you could try a college that have nneb students as they might be interested

frogs Tue 08-Mar-05 12:51:30

Teachers or nursery assistants from an appropriate special school or unit? I have a friend whose ds has very severe cerebral palsy, and she has various current or former staff members from the child's former school (he's now in a weekly boarding unit) who come to her house when she needs a babysitter.

Keane Tue 08-Mar-05 12:54:40

I often wonder this as we dont have anyone close any more so we have to either go out seperate or wait until we have visitors/relatives coming to visit

I was going to ask social services about it next week tbh

coppertop Tue 08-Mar-05 13:19:44

We don't have any babysitters either. Maybe the mumsnetters on the childminding threads will be able to give you some advice.

Merlot Tue 08-Mar-05 17:39:59

mamadadawahwah - I'm watching this thread with interest as I've thought exactly the same thing. My ds2 is only 18 months and we have used the teenager next door when we have gone to neighbours houses for supper, but I always make sure that ds is fast asleep and leave instructions that I am to be called immediately if he wakes

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: