Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

wanting advise nothing serious

(15 Posts)
bubblagirl Sat 18-Oct-08 11:25:45

just wandering would it be wrong to buy my ds who has ASD a mummy make me better doll

you have to nurse it and look after it give it medicine etc he is 3.6 nearly

wandered if this might help him understand other peoples needs

or would it just be wrong to buy him a doll at this age?

thanks for any advise

bubblagirl Sat 18-Oct-08 11:26:20

here

RaggedRobin Sat 18-Oct-08 17:13:00

i bought ds a doll when i was pregnant to try to get him used to the idea of a new baby.

he threw it about a lot grin

it didn't bode well for the baby!

certainly wouldn't be wrong. i don't know how expensive they are, but perhaps point out one in a shop to see if he shows any interest, to save you wasting any money?

melmamof3 Sat 18-Oct-08 20:55:00

Dont think it wrong atall.If you think he would understand the doll, then go for it.

bubblagirl Sun 19-Oct-08 15:06:40

thnaks guys he likes to play doctor and understands what being ill is i showed him the doll and asked if he'd like to make it better and said yes he would

i bought one from charity shop and he feeds it with magic bottles saying hungry but i thought the mummy make me better doll it is more realistic in its actions and probably more his wave lentgh than a doll that does nothing

i didnt buy it but will think it through more am watching a few on e bay just didnt want to buy it then everyone think its a bad idea to buy a boy a doll

i know i got one from charity shop but cost pence but to actually go and buy a new doll i dont want people to find it strange im trying to help with his understanding of other peoples needs etc

think i may get it thanks again

TheodoresMummy Sun 19-Oct-08 17:31:30

Have just come back from the park (conker collecting) with DS who took his 'baby' (who is called Jesus grin from last Christmas). He pushed all the way around in his pink pram which is far too small for him now (too small for DS, not Jesus)...

DS is nearly 5 and has no idea that some things are boyish and some are girly. His fav colour is pink too.

If your DS would enjoy a doll then I woud get one. If it helps with his understanding/development then even better !!

bubblagirl Sun 19-Oct-08 17:56:59

thank you i am considering it he wants sylvanian family at the moment because of animals so looking on ebay for cheap house and animals as he doesnt really play with them as such

the doll i may still get i like the fact he gets to make it better and look after it he does like doing things like this dont think dp will mind too much

we have lots of toys action men etc but no interest in much apart from computer but he has started to show more interest in his toys so might do it

secretly i would love it too lol

bubblagirl Sun 19-Oct-08 17:57:40

oh baby jesus sounds real sweet so does your ds

feelingbitbetter Sun 19-Oct-08 18:34:57

Theodoresmummy - that sounds just lovely. Lol at baby Jesus smile

TopBitch Sun 19-Oct-08 19:02:41

I would get the doll. I don't think it's too early and it sounds like a good idea. we got a doll and a pushchair for dd when she was 3. She really liked it and it helped her with her development quite a bit. She was a slow walker, so pushing her doll improved her balance and helped her to walk.

Kazann Sun 19-Oct-08 21:20:59

So sweet a baby doll called Jesus. I don't think it's wrong to buy him a doll, go for it.

bubblagirl Mon 20-Oct-08 12:37:25

i just got him some sylvanian families cheap on e bay and today found a chimp doll that you have to feed its so cute he is loving that spoke to dp he was ok about me buying him a doll so i will get it for x mas thanks guys never know if it'd be odd at this age to buy a doll for him but glad it sounds ok

TotalChaos Mon 20-Oct-08 14:03:33

SALT have always been enthusiastic about DS playing will toy dolls for the reasons you have said for teaching language etc. I would have got DS a Baby Annabel last year if he had shown the slightest interest. Rofl at Jesus!

bullet123 Mon 20-Oct-08 14:35:15

If he'd like the doll then buy him it.

bubblagirl Mon 20-Oct-08 14:48:08

i just bought one for him an ethnic baby chou chou doll that opens closes eyes giggles and really sucks dummy he really seemed to like the look of the doll so i got it for him bless him

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now