Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

dd2 nearly choked tonight....

(5 Posts)
sadbarratthomeowner Thu 16-Oct-08 20:48:20

dd2 who is 7 has severe learning disabilities. She has some difficulties with chewing and swallowing and quite regularly something goes down the wrong way -usually she coughs it back up fairly easily and I might have to pat her on the back once.

But tonight she managed to breathe in a small piece of plum (which she really likes) - I turned her downwards and had to thump her on the back about 40 times and was getting increasingly desperate as she was gagging/retching and going redder and redder in the face. I was shouting for dd1 to call an ambulance when finally it shifted - now feeling quite jittery and keep going to check on her in her room sad.

She seems to be choking more and more often -need to speak to paed soon. Did I deal with this right or is there a better method with choking? Having to avoid most soft/moist foods and things like grapes/tomatoes.

PS I have name-changed many times over the years but have been around since about 2002!

feelingbitbetter Thu 16-Oct-08 21:22:01

I have recently done a baby emergency first aid course and best method for choking is turn her over, on your knees making sure head is lower than her bum to let gravity help, then slap between shoulder blades, quite firmly. Even if you dislodge it straight away, if you are still worried, call an ambulance. You can talk to the operator and explain what happened, but the paramedic who did our course said they would never refuse to come out for a child.
P.S. Think you did really well, keeping calm in what must have been a terrifying situation.

sadbarratthomeowner Thu 16-Oct-08 21:40:05

Thanks - it was very scary... Think I will try to go on a course like that.

needmorecoffee Fri 17-Oct-08 08:17:07

dd is the 4 and her eating and choking is getting worse (she has severe cerebral palsy) so we are finally getting a G-tube.
Does she get to see a SALT?

sadbarratthomeowner Fri 17-Oct-08 12:40:38

Yes - at school. I will mention it to her. It's ironic as in the past she was going to have a G-tube for her very low weight gain, but it never happened as now she eats better, but now chokes more hmm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now