Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Can one request a different SALT?

(10 Posts)
needmorecoffee Thu 16-Oct-08 19:29:15

I've asked and asked and aksed for a different one. The current one showed up only 3 times last year, constantly cancelling and once this year. For a child who has eating problems and can't speak. She has no idea about either.
Now they want me to have a meeting with her. I am fed up with this, the woman is useless!

Tclanger Thu 16-Oct-08 20:33:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

moondog Thu 16-Oct-08 22:42:57

Yes you can.
I'm a salt.
Ring (or wirte) and request meeting with head of dept. outlining why.
Cc it to the directorate head and chief exec. you will then be virtually guaranteed a speedy response.

Sorry for your hassles. sad

needmorecoffee Fri 17-Oct-08 08:15:17

Moondog, I have asked the head of dept but I'm being ignored or they say 'of course she has the skills you say she doesn't have'
She must be hiding her light under a bloody bushel then!
4 years of her never showing up. 3 times in one year is shite, once this year is shite. I want the SALT that is in the school but I'm told her caseload is full hence useless woman stalking dd to school too. I had been hoping that after 4 years dd was finally going to get some SALT sad
The LEA have awarded her 25 hours a year one to one with a SALT. Week 4 of school, not even 5 minutes has happenend angry

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Fri 17-Oct-08 09:29:09

Is that 25 hours in part 3 of the statement?

If it is then write to your statementing officer and copy to the head of the lea stating that they are not meeting the statement. Remind them they have a legal duty to provide this SALT even if the NHS does not provide someone. State that unless they guarantee that they will provide the SALT as specified in the statement and that this starts the week after half term you will be employing a private SALT and having him or her invoice the LEA directly. This is what I did when ds1's SALT went on maternity leave- no replacement was provided so the LEA had to pay for his private one to go in. She invoiced them and they paid.

She (the private SALT) wanted the agreement in writing form the LEA that they would pay - (they would give it verbally) - and I had to threaten them with the local govt ombudsmen to get that agreement (as in 'if I don't have this agreement by date X I will complain to the local govt ombudsmen).

If the hours are in part 2 & 3 you'll get it. They don't want to go to court on a point that another local authority has already lost on in the appeal court.

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Fri 17-Oct-08 09:30:24

IN other words if it's in part 2 and 3 forget the health authority it's the LEA who have the legal duty to provide the SALT. How they provide it is their problem to negotiate with the health authority. The health authority has no legal duty to meet the statement, the LEA does.

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Fri 17-Oct-08 09:35:45

If the hours are specified in part 5 or 6 of the statement then you'll have to get them into part 2&3 first - then insist on them providing SALT. Once its in the correct part (so I think it will list SALT in 2 and specify hours in 3) then there is nothing the LEA can do to wriggle out of it. No NHS SALT available for those hours? That's fine, the LEA pay for a private one. Full stop. Nothing they can do about it.

needmorecoffee Fri 17-Oct-08 10:54:10

just checked. In Part 3.
But can I say I don't want the uselsss SALT?

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Fri 17-Oct-08 10:58:21

TBH they probably won't provide her (if the HA haven't already). Health authority's don't generally give a stuff if their lack of professionals causes problems for the LEA

I;d write and say if she's not given you a timetable by the end of half term then you will be instructing a private SALT to meet the requirements set out in part 3 of her statement and you require written confirmation from the LEA that they will pay for this. If this is not forthcoming by XXX date (I'd give them a week to reply) then you will be writing to the local govt ombudsmen to complain that the statement is not being met.

moondog Fri 17-Oct-08 19:05:57

I second everything Jimjams said but first, please write again to the head of directorate and chief exec. Also contact SNAP and your community healkth council who will help you put together a formal complaint.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: