Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Does ritalin cause strokes???

(9 Posts)
essbee Sun 06-Mar-05 14:37:19

Message withdrawn

lou33 Sun 06-Mar-05 17:06:49

that's nice and understanding of her essbee.

happymerryberries Sun 06-Mar-05 17:17:40

Very supportive.

This is the current sumary of product characteristics for Ritalin as approved bt the British MCA

I have only included the side effects section

4.8 Undesirable effects

Frequency estimate: very common 10%; common 1% to < 10%; uncommon 0.1% to < 1%; rare 0.01% to < 0.1%; very rare < 0.01%.

Nervousness and insomnia are very common adverse reactions occurring at the beginning of treatment, but can usually be controlled by reducing the dosage and/or omitting the afternoon or evening dose.

Decreased appetite is also common but usually transient.

Central and peripheral nervous system:

Common: Headache, drowsiness, dizziness, dyskinesia,

Rare: Difficulties in visual accommodation, and blurred vision.

Very rare: Hyperactivity, convulsions, muscle cramps, choreo-athetoid movements, tics or exacerbation of existing tics, and Tourette's syndrome, toxic psychosis (sometimes with visual and tactile hallucinations), transient depressed mood, cerebral arteritis and/or occlusion.

So she is taking a load of cobblers

Very rare reports of poorly documented neuroleptic malignant syndrome (NMS) have been received. In most of these reports patients were also receiving other medications. It is uncertain what role Ritalin played in these cases.

Gastro-intestinal tract:

Common: Abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting. These usually occur at the beginning of treatment and may be alleviated by concomitant food intake. Dry mouth.

Very rare: Abnormal liver function, ranging from transaminase elevation to hepatic coma.

Cardiovascular system:

Common: Tachycardia, palpitations, arrhythmias, changes in blood pressure and heart rate (usually an increase).

Rare: Angina pectoris.

Skin and appendages:

Common: Rash, pruritus, urticaria, fever, arthralgia, scalp hair loss.

Very rare: Thrombocytopenic purpura, exfoliative dermatitis, and erythema multiforme.

Blood:

Very rare: Leucopenia, thrombocytopenia, anaemia.

Miscellaneous:

Rare: Moderately reduced weight gain and slight growth retardation during prolonged use in children.

essbee Sun 06-Mar-05 17:29:38

Message withdrawn

bizzybee Sun 06-Mar-05 17:31:18

hi, dont forget every drug has side effects>>>
and they have to list EVERY side effect that has been reported.!!

for example: paracetamol can cause rashes, blood disorders, hypertention, liver damage!!!
you should ask you mum what she takes when she has a headache!!
I am a dispencer and my son has ADHD i i give him equasym (same as ritalin) my best friend is a pharmacist and she takes Ritalin.

you have to way it up!!

Daniel Beddingfield takes it!!

jo

happymerryberries Sun 06-Mar-05 17:34:01

Agree that you have to realiese that all side effects have to be listed. It used to be my job to collate and recod the things. It is all a risk benefit calculation. And remember that your child will be monitoredwhile they are taking it. And ost of those rare ones are very rare indeed

bizzybee Sun 06-Mar-05 17:41:10

thats right my son has had no side effects. hes been on it since August 03.
Although we did try concerta and that sent him hay wire!!!

I took asprin last july for the god nos how many times and i end up in hopital!!! i cant go near anything with salisylics in it now (cant even spell it!!)

essbee Sun 06-Mar-05 21:28:36

Message withdrawn

mummytosteven Mon 07-Mar-05 00:10:43

aaargh. remember this is the same mum who reckons that your sis's behaviour was similar to DS and that she had ADD - so what by her thinking caused that then!!. I know naff all about ritalin but am sure that if it had been linked to a stroke in a kid taking it it would have been MAJOR news.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now