Advanced search

Dyspraxia, Dyslexia any other Dys words...

(4 Posts)
baby01gem Wed 15-Oct-08 22:19:41

My DD1 is 12 and has always struggled with English, and controlling her brain - acts first thinks later. Due to her ability her prep school believed she most likely was dyslexic or dyspraxic as there was such a difference in her ability and her English skills. She is now at a state secondary school, and they are also commenting on the difference between her mental ability (outstanding), and her English skils (diabolical). How do I go about getting her assessed for dyspraxia or dsylexia? Do I just go to GP? Any help?

galaxymummy Wed 15-Oct-08 22:27:43

If you have cash see an educational psychologist if not speak to great people at bda british dyslexia association
wife to david and mum to rob and heather
all dyslexic
dd won scholarship and ds at grammar school do not despair

baby01gem Wed 15-Oct-08 22:29:51

Thank you very much galaxymummy

isgrassgreener Thu 16-Oct-08 10:42:43

You could also ask her secondary school to assess her, this may take a bit of time, but would be free.
It would not give you the indepth report that you would get from a private ep.
Mind you if you do decide to get a private ep report it may not help you with the what to do next.
Knowing your child is dyslexic is one thing, getting help for them is another, but at least you would know for sure why she was having problems and where the actual problems lie as each dyslexic/dyspraxic seems to struggle in different areas.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: