Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

autism and gulping noises

(6 Posts)
mamadadawahwah Sat 05-Mar-05 15:47:06

Does anyone know if it is true that autistic kids make gulping noises in the back of their throat? I know this sounds weird but i was describing my son to someone who works with autistic children and she was saying that they do this. My son who is 2, makes a gggg sound but it isnt gulping.Just gag gag gag.

Any ideas?

Chocol8 Sat 05-Mar-05 18:37:41

My ds does this - (7yo/ADHD/AS) I asked recently about verbal stimming on MN - but saying this, I used to make a sort of grunting noise when I was about the same age. I am hoping he grows out of it as I did, as it is quite annoying and he can't eat or speak without doing it, although it does tend to be worse if he is stressed.

Because I did it too and know others who have done it, makes me think it's not just an auti thing, but I could be wrong.

coppertop Sat 05-Mar-05 18:44:55

Neither of my 2 boys have ever done this. I can't say that it's ever been mentioned to us either.

Socci Sat 05-Mar-05 19:10:33

Message withdrawn

JaysMum Sat 05-Mar-05 20:10:18

J does make a horrid gagging sound.....sometimes he does it so much it actaully makes him sick!!!!
Also he sucks and tuts a lot especially when trying to get his words out and they wont come in the right order.

macwoozy Sat 05-Mar-05 20:14:01

My ds tuts and hums at the same time, annoying.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: