Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

How do I explain to Flamechick that clothes label sizings Do Not Matter?

(17 Posts)
Flamesparrow Tue 14-Oct-08 08:16:59

I am leaning towards just cutting them all out!

She keeps trying to tell me that clothes don't fit because they are 4-5 and she is 5-6 hmm

I am not getting rid of clothes that fit perfectly well because she is being Flamechickish about them being "right".

Will cutting the labels out work or will she then get arsey because she doesn't know what age they are???

melmamof3 Tue 14-Oct-08 08:20:07

What a predicament. I'd cut them out and tell her that the clothes fit better without them, or that it didnt come with a tag.

lou031205 Tue 14-Oct-08 08:52:36

Would she notice if you changed the size to 5-6? Carefully with a fine tipped clothes marker?

magso Tue 14-Oct-08 10:38:30

Would she understand that as children grow they get bigger, so childrens clothes are made extra big to grow into. And now she has grown into it. Nah! think adding a 6 to the label is simpler!

AnarchyAunt Tue 14-Oct-08 10:39:14

Cut em out!

magso Tue 14-Oct-08 10:44:53

Trouble with cutting them out is if dd is very sensitive (as my asd ds is) you may have to remove all trace (unstitch-restitch) - but then if sensitive you would possibly already have been forced to do this.

TheodoresMummy Tue 14-Oct-08 11:51:45

If I cut them out, DS would remember what the label had said anyway {grin]

How is her memory ?

twocutedarlings Tue 14-Oct-08 12:50:48

definatley cut them out!! DD also has this issue with clothing, the thing is, she is small for her age so all her clothes are a size or two smaller anyway. Its a complete PITA when shopping for new stuff, i have to swap things round on the hangers so the she dosent see the smaller size on the hanger hmm.

TheodoresMummy Tue 14-Oct-08 13:07:10

grin twocutedarlings grin

bet you look hilarious fumbling with hangers whilst trying to distract your DD so she doesn't see what you are doing !!

Sorry...

misscutandstick Tue 14-Oct-08 13:15:40

OMG oooooh! i have the exact same problem with DS1,DS2&DS3!!! angry they are only a year apart, so depending on growth spurts, depends on what fits who!

The only thing that got their heads round it was the fact that A) DS5 is 2.5y and fits in 9-12mth and if i bought him 2-3 it would drip off him and B) if i wore size 36 clothes then id be immense (no offence to anyone 16+ blush ) and C) sizings are for idiots who dont know how big they are and cant see if it fits or not, so if my children are using the 'idiots guide' what does it say about them?

that said, try the 'it fell off {the label wink ) in the wash' line, and see if that helps.

ADragonIs4LifeNotJustHalloween Tue 14-Oct-08 13:17:46

Show her the labels in your clothes and point out that they don't mean you're, er, 8 years old.

KerryMumchingOnEyeballs Tue 14-Oct-08 13:18:42

Tell her they are made in different countries and sizing is different in different countries (U.S. clothes are way smaller for same size e.g.)

ImnotMamaGbutsheLovesMe Tue 14-Oct-08 13:21:44

I was also going to say cut them out but I am thinking she sounds smart enough to think you are trying to trick her.

My DD won't wear anything with a button on and while I have given in in the past, I have stopped shopping for her now, and figure when she has grown out of everything she will have to come with me and she will see how hard it is to find button free clothes.

twocutedarlings Tue 14-Oct-08 18:29:12

TheodoresMummy I bet it was you that was sniggering at me on my last shopping trip!! hmm grin

Oh and to get round her out smarting me i iron in a name tag (school tag thingy) and say there you go it's DD1 size now cos its got your name in it !! wink

Flamesparrow Tue 14-Oct-08 19:33:32

I think I am going to try the cutnstick logic method.... followed by "it fell off in the wash" grin

You are all fabulous!

Flamesparrow Tue 14-Oct-08 19:34:38

Thinking about it - I could always just tell her that it was a gift from Nappiesgalore - the woman can do no wrong in her eyes, so it would be accepted with enthusiasm whatever size grin

bullet123 Tue 14-Oct-08 20:31:30

Let her try the bigger clothes on. Point out how far down the sleeves go and how much more material there is. Now get her to try on the clothes that actually fit her and point out that they fit her. Tell her that the age 5 to 6 clothes are usually made bigger for a five year old as they have to fit a six year old. Also point out that at age 5 she is still in the category for age 4 to 5, it does not necessarily mean ages 48 to 60 months, the clothing manufacturers allow for some overlap.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now