Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

SALTS - I need your help......

(4 Posts)
Flowertop Mon 13-Oct-08 18:30:21

DS1 has stammered since he started to talk. We went through the lidcombe programme in addition to other speech therapists who specialise in stammering in children. The problem has been that he has had long periods of fluency when there has been no need for the therapy. However he is now nearly 10 and since July his stammer has been much worse. The therapist I used to see has moved miles away. He is now having problems at school and this morning we had melt down with him saying how unhappy he is about his 'bumpy' talking and how he is being teased at school. I am going in tonight to speak to teacher so that is covered. I have tried the Star Fish programme but he is too young and will have to wait until he is 12. I am at a loss as to what to do next. I have gone private for all the therapy as didn't want him to wait for ages on a waiting list. I have an appointment with GP to discuss the problems with him and feel helpless as to what I should be doing next. Any advice would be really appreciated.

moondog Mon 13-Oct-08 19:33:41

I'm a SALT BUT don't do this sort of work. Have him referred or if necessary, find a private salt.

Flowertop Mon 13-Oct-08 23:23:48

Moondog thanks I've not heard of these before so sure they will be of some help.

moondog Mon 13-Oct-08 23:25:31

Here's the link

These will all be properly accredited SALTs. It's a very tightly regulated profession.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: