Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

What do you think about alternative therapies?

(8 Posts)
TinySocks Mon 13-Oct-08 13:10:23

DS1 is 3.9yrs, he has gobal delay. I take him to all the standard therapies.
A friend told me recently that I should try kinesiology with him.

Have any of you tried alternative therapies? and what to you think of them?

I know it won't produce miracles,but... maybe they could help?

cocoleBOO Mon 13-Oct-08 13:13:05

I would reccommend cranial oestopathy.

I don't know how kinesolgy would work for him, I have it to find out what foods are affecting me (muscle weakness etc).

I think the best thing is if you get a practioner reccommended to you.

Tclanger Mon 13-Oct-08 13:40:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tclanger Mon 13-Oct-08 13:41:48

TinySocks Mon 13-Oct-08 13:57:42

Thanks TC and cocole! TC I remember you mentioned the sound learning centre sometime ago, but DS would have to wear headphones right? I don't think he'll keep them on for more than a few seconds.

I have been searching on the net, and found some really interesting articles about kinesiology,etc.
DH is dead against it and thinks it's all a money making scheme.

I am really keen to try things, but I am so worried about giving away my hard earned cash.

sphil Mon 13-Oct-08 14:49:03

We tried kinesiology and tbh I was very sceptical about it. The stuff he gave DS2 to drink 'to cleanse him of heavy metals' was disgusting - like axle grease - but the thing that worried me most was the the guy said he knew what Ds2 needed before even testing him hmm.

Cranial osteopathy and the Bowen technique I think did some good (so hard to tell because we were doing other stuff alongside - biomed and ABA). DS2 was always very relaxed afterwards!

Atm he's doing AIT - a version called Therapeutic Listening - which I would say has had a positive effect on his noise sensitivities. I was convined he wouldn't wear the headphones, but he did.

It's so difficult knowing what to try. If I could go back in time I would just try one thing at a time and keep a really detailed diary of any effects.

Tclanger Mon 13-Oct-08 14:49:10

TotalChaos Mon 13-Oct-08 14:54:37

Some alternative therapies are alternative only in the fact that NHS wouldn't routinely offer them, but have a sound research basis - e.g. as TC mentioned the ABA. others are more erm airy fairy. Never heard of kinesiology. Like your DH I would be concerned about something costing a lot of money.

The only alternative-ish things I've done are restricting DS's dairy, and the odd bit of reflexology (taught in DS's baby massage class and very useful for teething!).

You might find the quackwatch website of interest - though as the name suggests it is rather sceptical. This is what it has to say about Applied Kinesiology

www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/Tests/ak.html

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now