Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

please make it stop....

(22 Posts)
drowninginlaundry Mon 13-Oct-08 08:03:50

I'll do anything, anything at all
I'll give up internet for a week
I'll give up coffee
I'll take my mum's calls and listen to her wittering on about the weather
I'll be nice to DH and won't nag about his pants on the floor
I'll do my pelvic floor exercises

the noise, just. make. it. stop. please.

I just wish the humming had an off button! The volume seems to go up during full moon as well and this morning it has reached Spinal Tap level 11. I need ear defenders. I can't hear myself think, and it's only 8am....

Autism: The Soundtrack... I'll record it and take it to the LEA's offices and play it to them for 8 hours straight, see how they'll like it grin

BriocheDoree Mon 13-Oct-08 08:22:08

Drowning, sorry to hear you're having a tough time. Found myself screaming at DD on Saturday because she was doing impressions of her younger brother crying, thus setting him off crying, and she's not ASD so she can, at a pinch, be distracted and made to stop. I think if she did that "wah wah wah wah" thing all the time I'd go mad. I think playing it to the LEA is a great idea. Perhaps you should change your name to DrowningInNoise.
Anyway, sending <<<hugs>>>

Seuss Mon 13-Oct-08 09:29:35

You have my sympathy! We had a lot of screaming this morning - not a good way to start the week. I wish ds would stop licking things.

melmamof3 Mon 13-Oct-08 09:37:46

Poor thing. I get a lot of ne ne ne ne ne ne ne ne ne ne ne ne ne ....anyway, you get the picture. I think recording it and playing it to the LEA's office is a fab idea!

Brioche, my ds1 does that as well, and he isnt the one with ASD!

Seuss, my ds2 licks everything, he was even licking the water off his dads car this morning while waiting for his bus blush

misscutandstick Mon 13-Oct-08 09:43:46

DIL i totally sympathise, i have had all manner of jet engine/helicopter/gunfire noises for, hmm let me see, DS1 (ADHD+)started around 4yrs and now hes 16yrs (yes and still does it) for 12 SOLID YEARS. im not trying to compete, honestly im not.

i just absolutely KNOW where you're coming from on that front, and understand your frustration...

PS DS5 has autism (2.5y non-verbal), and does a remarkable 'wolf howling at a full moon', and a fantastic house siren for up to an hour or so several times a day. How do i cope? MN!

pReachyTheExorcist Mon 13-Oct-08 09:46:35

Poor ds2 was in tears friday night as ds1 spent almost 2 hours singing his usual 'cheesy' in a mock operatic stle at maximum decibels (we could hear it terribly downstairs, ds2 was in the next room!)

DS3 is quieter but managed to spend all his time on the carnival float Saturday licking the wall hmm- I take it its reahced overlaod level and I need to pull him now then (before he gets a splinter in his tongue!)

misscutandstick Mon 13-Oct-08 09:53:56

SUESS and MEL: DS5 licks everything too, tarmac, carpets, people...

drowninginlaundry Mon 13-Oct-08 10:16:54

missc - 12 years!!!! shock i think you win

we had (childless) house guests this weekend and DS1 kept them awake for three hours on Saturday night with his 'singing'.... they emerged on Sunday morning looking completely shell-shocked.

he's at school now until midday. quiet house. MN.

(blissed out emoticon)

MUM23ASD Mon 13-Oct-08 10:42:42

have just posted a 'similar' thread- my ds won't stop bouncing.

maybe it is the full moon striking again....as even my tolerance is at rock bottom at the moment...and i'm 'drowning in laundry' too!!! (and all other mutations of housework!!!)

seriously Drowning... it really does get you down sometimes doesn't it???... and i hate it when i feel so negative about any of my ds's 'expressing' themselves...as i read on here so many accounts of others who would just love to see their DC 'express' themselves.

I'm not ungrateful...just fed up of having my body bounced up and down...arm yanked off...and being part of my son's latest stim!!!

coppertop Mon 13-Oct-08 10:54:27

Can I add a chorus of "Eee eee urrh Eee eee urrh" to the Autism Soundtrack?

If MUM23ASD's ds3 adds his choreography to the mix we could have the stage version of "Autism: The Musical" between us all.

Tclanger Mon 13-Oct-08 11:24:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BriocheDoree Mon 13-Oct-08 12:49:46

OK, well if we're adding echolalia to the annoying noises, could I have "Would you like a crocodile" to which the reply is "We haven't got any crocodiles" and "Ooh too kella Maaaaaaayah" (no idea!) or "Somehow I don't think I was gonna get Daddy's blessing" (Shrek 2) or "Oh no, that's not fair!" (Lamb who Came to Dinner) which are the current favourites. Blessedly not too loud, but can get VERY repetitive.

Widemouthfrog Mon 13-Oct-08 13:17:32

Constant tongue clicking here. No one else seems to notice it but it drives me crackers.

Widemouthfrog Mon 13-Oct-08 13:19:17

Constant tongue clicking here. No one else seems to notice it but it drives me crackers.

And 'kerchow' after every action (a 'Cars' obsession at the moment).

Seuss Mon 13-Oct-08 14:11:42

LOL 'Somehow i don't think i was gonna get Daddy's blessing' - ha ha that's made me chuckle enough to get through the evenings screamathon! And 'kerchow' - it is quite fun to play guess the film sometimes!

jenk1 Mon 13-Oct-08 15:18:22

DD has been singing "Tell me how im supposed to breathe with no air" just that line over and over and over from 7.30am till 7pm for the last 2 weeks.but its in her own special secret language that noone but her understands.

SIGH.....................................

RaggedRobin Mon 13-Oct-08 22:28:20

ds had been saying "the ninkynonk is stuck in the TREE!" for months now. for the last couple of weeks, he turned the volume right up. i could feel my mind surrendering under the din. especially when grreeted with it first thing in the morning.

but - oh joy! - he's found a new one. "loooook - it's justin..... can you sign.... justin"

he says it at a reasonable volume and is such a good impersonation of justin that, for the moment, i don't mind hearing it endlessly. i'll get back to you after a couple of weeks though.

sincere sympathies.

RaggedRobin Tue 14-Oct-08 12:40:53

i'm new to this, so probably stating the obvious, but i read a book recently that suggested if your lo seems "stuck" on something, that it may be worthwhile drawing their attention to it and helping them to move on.

when i feel my head is too full of ninkynonks to cope, i've been trying this out, asking ds "are you stuck? shall we find something else to talk about?" and it does work sometimes.

similarly, with transitions from one activity to another, if ds seems to be stuck on one activity , we pretend to look through binoculars and ask "what's next? let's look around for something else to do" and that often seems enough to get him to move between activities.

magso Tue 14-Oct-08 13:14:51

Drowning and M23ASD you have my sympathy!
Yea the soundtrack idea sounds great (would you like a er-er, er -er, repeated ad. inf. added?). Wickedly I was wondering what would happen if I blasted ds with it?
I do tell ds now when his humming is getting to me and ask him to stop or go outside to play - usually he is unaware of it). He stops for a while. He is slightly better with background noise eg from the TV ( I find that can be difficult for me too but it better than humming.) His jiggling whilst humming noise is unbearable and he tends to get both of us crack at the same time and shout stop now!

RaggedRobin Tue 14-Oct-08 21:04:11

oh god, just read my post again and it does sound totally obvious... but for some reason, when i read it in my book, it sounded revelatory hmm

Seuss Wed 15-Oct-08 09:53:57

That's a good point Ragged Robin - sometimes it's easy to miss the obvious. I quite often ask ds to stop but don't often think to move him on. Do you find yourself doing the binoculars when you are out and about tho?

RaggedRobin Wed 15-Oct-08 14:08:39

yes! he wouldn't move away from the balloons at the soft play yesterday, so we had the whole binoculars display - we got a few funny looks, but he did move on to the actual toys. i'll take the funny looks, rather than pay to stand and look at balloons for 2 hours!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now