Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

DD now missed 3 weeks of school due to 1-1 being off ill.

(8 Posts)
squatchette Sun 12-Oct-08 01:34:45

My dd has just started in year1 at a new school.She has a statement and a 1-1 because she has a tracheostomy.Her 1-1 from last year at previous school has transfered with her but is only part time.She kindly agreed to do full time until some one else was found to work the other half of each day.
However after the first week of term TA became ill and is still off sick now going into the 4th week!
The upshot of this is that my dd has had to miss school.
I'm so sad as the reason i moved her to this new school was mainly due to the fact that at her last one we had the same problems.I ended up attending school with her for two thirds of last year just so she wouldn't miss out.I would of course do this again but i have a month old baby now too (and a 4 year old in reception).
I spoke to the head teacher on Friday and he told me he has found some one else but has been waiting 2 weeks for CRB clearance .Also this person will need to do all their tracheostomy training too so that's at least 3-4 weeks before dd could be left alone in their care.
It seems as if we have no rights at all to an education .It's such a shame as this was meant to be a fresh start and was hoping dd would have made lots of new friends by now instead of being bored stuck at home and being even more of an outsider when she returns to class.
DP says we should ask for a home tutor ,I don't know if we have the right to.Does anybody have any advice please.Realise it's maybe a little late right now but wanted to get this off my chest iyswim.

ScummyMummy Sun 12-Oct-08 01:59:43

This is, I think, illegal. This organisation would be able to advise you further- phone the on Monday.. So sorry you and your daughter are going through such crap.

squatchette Sun 12-Oct-08 02:09:17

Thanks SM i will try them first thing Monday.

bullet123 Sun 12-Oct-08 09:30:26

Your dd has the legal right to an education. You could argue for a home tutor based on this.

needmorecoffee Sun 12-Oct-08 09:36:40

the school/LEA are acting illegally but you have to really push and hassle I'm afraid.

squatchette Sun 12-Oct-08 10:12:06

Thanks,i thought so.Wasn't too concerned when it was one week but it's dragging on and on.Luckily she is very bright and hasn't got behind yet despite only having 65% attendance last year.At this age i worry more about the social implications though.

unfitmother Sun 12-Oct-08 11:23:34

That's terrible, fight it! angry

ScummyMummy Wed 15-Oct-08 22:45:13

Any update on this, squatchette?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now