Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

OKAY im armed with an avocado, and butternut squash...

(5 Posts)
misscutandstick Sat 11-Oct-08 16:02:30

<blushes a deep crimson red> what on earth do i do with them? They are off the shelf, thru the checkout... what do i do to get them on a plate? blush

Riven suggested them as a good calorie, easy to digest food, so i thought id take her advice, but i need a little more advice - mainly on how to prepare/cook blush

Bear in mind please that DS5 is gluten & soya (i know thats a new one!) & dairy & egg & banana intolerant (before you ask, they all give him violent diarrhoea, sickness, and stomach cramps).

So what do i do with them? Please?

PS he can have ricemilk and sunflower 'pure' instead of dairy.

AnarchyAunt Sat 11-Oct-08 16:08:56

Ok, avocado you can mash with a bit of lemon juice and olive oil, or chop and put in salads or with pasta (I know you said no gluten but gf pasta maybe?), or cut in half, remove stone, and fill with salaad dressing.

Butternut squash you can halve, scoop out seeds, and bake with a bit of oil then mash up. Or peel and cut into chunks, then roast with olive oil. Or make into creamy soup with rice milk.

misscutandstick Sat 11-Oct-08 17:33:29

brill, thanks! will give those a go! smile

feelingbitter Sat 11-Oct-08 17:34:17

Yip, roast the butternut squash (cut into oxo sized cubes in this house and roasted in oil) we have it in risotto - sorry don't know about gluten stuff blush I presume rice is not gluten free? Its also lovely served with roasted red peppers (and tomato sauce!)- or, blend the two, add some stock or tinned toms for a nice soup. Can also be used instead of potatoes - roast in cubes again, serve with other veg and some fish/meat?
Avocado,I love it just served with olive oil. Its very easy to mash too, as don't know how old DS is. Its very good for you too.

misscutandstick Sat 11-Oct-08 17:51:17

Rice is fine! smile totally gluten free, DS5 loves it and its a good job cos he practically lives on it! unfortunately he really isnt keen on tomato based food. Ooh and using it instead of potatoes sounds good! will deffo give that a try too, he is going off roast potatoes a bit, so hopefully it will help!

many thanks for the info, will give it all a try smile incidentally DS5 is 2.5 and is just going thru a picky phase, so its a PITA as hes on restricted diet anyway angry so again, many thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now