Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Suggestions for helping a 6 year old boy in DTD2s class, please?

(13 Posts)
MadamDeathstare Sat 11-Oct-08 04:00:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

amber32002 Sat 11-Oct-08 07:33:24

Difficult...I'm not sure if he's autistic, but I agree that it sounds like you could do with asking the teacher if there is anything you need to know about this particular child, since you'd observed those things about him? If you're helping in there, then she may wish to share information with you which would help you be more useful to him?

Twiglett Sat 11-Oct-08 07:36:21

teacher should have briefed you ... ask her

TotalChaos Sat 11-Oct-08 09:50:01

Definitely ask the teacher how best you can help him. Could be all sorts of things other than ASD - could be language delay, could be a hearing problem, could be selective mutism or some sort of learning difficulties.

sphil Sat 11-Oct-08 10:16:06

Can't believe the teacher hasn't given you any info about this child. I would be mad as hell if this was happening in DS2's classroom. It sounds like you are very sensitive and would be able to help him a great deal if you knew what his difficulties are.

Tclanger Sat 11-Oct-08 12:42:08

Tclanger Sat 11-Oct-08 13:19:18

wannaBe Sat 11-Oct-08 13:36:48

this is tricky.

Iirc there was a thread on here recently from a poster whose dd found out she was autistic by means of the teacher essentially announcing it to the class. And the general consensus was that she was out of order, that confidentiality was just that and that she had no right telling anyone.

That being said, if you are going into this class to help out the children and this child is one of them, then I do think you should at least be given some information regarding difficulties this child has and how best to help him/what to expect. The teacher doesn't have to give it a name (she doesn't have to say x has y condition) but if this child's difficulties are that obvious then i don't think it's unreasonable to expect to at least be given a bit of info.

And as a parent going into class you should obviously maintain confidentiality at all times...

MadamDeathstare Sat 11-Oct-08 14:19:34

MadamDeathstare Sat 11-Oct-08 14:21:11

sphil Sat 11-Oct-08 15:50:30

I suppose I was speaking from the perspective of DS2, who wouldn't be aware if people knew about his autism. I agree that it might not be appropriate for a child who might be affected by breaches of confidentiality. In our case, the more people who know the better - although discussing the ways that help him are far more important than knowing about the label, as you all say.

Good luck MadamDeathstare - hope you get some helpful answers.

MadamDeathstare Tue 14-Oct-08 20:40:56

MadamDeathstare Tue 14-Oct-08 20:40:57

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now