Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

out of curiosity. what do you think of the term disadvantaged?

(15 Posts)
2shoesdrippingwithblood Fri 10-Oct-08 22:06:47

just been used on the bbc about children in need.
I find it a bit odd that my much loved and well looked after dd, it put in the same category as children who have suffered abuse and stuff like that.
what do you think?

magso Fri 10-Oct-08 22:13:00

Are they trying to use the term broadly to include all children who are less able to access fun / activities for whatever reason?

feelingbitter Fri 10-Oct-08 22:13:50

I'm not sure. I suppose in one way they are, if you take the term literally. It is certainly a disadvantage to face such struggles in life. But I also agree with you, my DS is so much luckier than many, 'disadvantaged' or not, to have two parents, who love each other and love him more than anything else in the world, and will do ANYTHING for him.

feelingbitter Fri 10-Oct-08 22:15:21

PS - my last post was in no way intended to offend single parents anywhere. Just that we are lucky to have each other as support.

sarah573 Fri 10-Oct-08 22:16:04

Hmmmm.....don't have a problem with it personally. My (also much loved and well looked after) 10 year old is at a disadvantage compaired to his peers - as he has AS and they don't. This makes some things are harder for him than them, putting him at a disadvantage.

Flamesparrow Fri 10-Oct-08 22:17:28

it seems an odd word to use imo

feelingbitter Fri 10-Oct-08 22:23:28

Yes, I agree with Sarah too. I don't find it offensive, perhaps inappropriate maybe? I don't feel that strongly either way really.

TotalChaos Fri 10-Oct-08 22:29:56

literally it does make a sort of sense- then having SN does tend to be a disadvantage (I know there are exceptions, eg. strong deaf culture and strong aspie culture) but I suppose it does have adverse social connotations. I don't think it's offensive, but a bit jarring.

slackrunner Fri 10-Oct-08 22:35:15

It doesn't bother me tbh. My dd has PMLD and CP, so she is disadvantaged compared to her peers (although very much loved by lots and lots of people). I suspect the beeb needed a word that was all encompassing, and disadvantaged was the best that they could do.

Tclanger Fri 10-Oct-08 22:58:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mm22bys Sat 11-Oct-08 09:03:45

I don't like it, but I guess CIN has to raise funds for children with so many needs, that its a term to lump them all in together (much like SN I guess!).

HRHSaintMamazon Sat 11-Oct-08 13:26:56

hijack - 2shoes. what was it you needed me for?

2shoesdrippingwithblood Sat 11-Oct-08 23:04:19

have mesaged you on FB

FioFio Mon 13-Oct-08 12:30:33

Message withdrawn

2shoesdrippingwithblood Mon 13-Oct-08 18:14:24

aww that is kind of cute

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now