Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

My son isn't on the ASD afterall, he has "global developmental delays" + a severe speech delay

(14 Posts)
Liffey Wed 08-Oct-08 19:42:13

So the ed psych told me yesterday. She's going to send me a copy of the report soon, whihc I can pore over.

I'm surprised. Well, she didn't mention him being on the A Spectrum, so I presume that means they've ruled that out now.

Some of his scores in things like visiospatial and performance were a YEAR and 2 months behind his age. And his speech is at 15 months (he has 3 words) and he's nearly 3. The test was the Griffiths test I think. Mean anything to anybody?

TotalChaos Wed 08-Oct-08 20:13:02

More info on the Griffiths test here:-

www.hogrefe.co.uk/?/test/show/111/.

DS I think had this done too by HV and then by paed but I don't remember much about it - have a feeling that they saw if DS knew what objects such as cup/spoon/brush were for, and had him do a simple jigsaw, and figure out a simple pattern with blocks (she did a tower of one block, then two blocks, then DS had to figure out doing 3 blocks).

Hope you are feeling (relatively) OK, these appointments can leave you feeling somewhat shellshocked

mum24boyz Wed 08-Oct-08 20:29:35

yeah we've done the griffiths, ds3 had it done twice for some reason, but ds 4 only had it once, its to test your gross and fine motor skills i think more than anything, both of mine were behind. i am no expert here hun, and i am sure someone will come along soon but imo and experience, unless we are looking at very severe asd, it isnt usually diagnosed at 3, my 5yr old is still only diagnosed gdd, though i dont believe he ia asd, i believe he is dyspraxic. i think its just a waiting game now tbh hun. but my ds3 was the same, very few words, i have been fighting for an asd diagnosis since he was 3, he is diagnosed with speech and language disorder and i suspect now he may be hyperlexic, it could be some time before you get a proper answer hun, hope you are ok though, i know how frustrating it is waiting for someone else to see what we can.

Liffey Wed 08-Oct-08 22:09:00

I am feeling ok about it thanks totalchaos. This sounds a bit mad,but since he was 18 months old they've been kind of preparing me for the fact that he was on the autistic spectrum and I was not sure. Now this seems like a change of direction. I thought he was my quirky little genius with a mild ASD, and now it turns out he's just DELAYED, across the board!?? shock

I will click on that link now, thanks.

They seem obsessed with the fact that he can't jump. It's funny, to me, I'm thinking, well, I think he can get by without jumping, so that's a silly question hmm but they did mention his fine motor skills and his gross motor skills now I think of it.

deeeja Thu 09-Oct-08 00:13:25

my ds at age 3.6 can't jump and has a diagnosis of autism. Also ed psych can't dx autism or no autism.
Dx is down to consultant psychiatrist/con psychologist/consultant paediatrician.

TotalChaos Thu 09-Oct-08 10:00:07

My friend's DS with ASD was also very late at jumping - ASD can also involve some difficultie s with motor skills. Deeja has a good point - can an ed psych DX these things? I think it tends to vary from area to area - but it would be more usual for it to be a developmental paed who diagnoses.

Has the ed psych said anything about what sort of support your DS is likely to get at nursery/pre-school etc in light of her findings?

Marne Thu 09-Oct-08 12:43:41

We were told by paed that dd2 was on the autistic spectrum but now i have been told by a speech therapist that she may have a language disorder. She is 2.7 and has just started babling like a 16 month old baby, its like she's 18 months behind.
She still shows traits for ASD such as arm flapping, lining up toys and no imagination.
She has good eye contact and loves human contact which is not ASD.
I am now even more cofused as we have just got used to the fact she may have ASD and have now been told she might not hmm

Marne Thu 09-Oct-08 12:44:47

Dd1 (4.7) has only just started to jump, she has aspergers.

Dd2 cant jump but neither could i until i was 5.

ChopsTheDuck Thu 09-Oct-08 13:00:49

We've been through that a lot, debating about what ds does or doesnt have. We're only getting more definite answers now he is a bit older. We also kept having discussions about autism, and dyspraxia, but it really wasn't possible to tell that young. They do seem to overlap somewhat.

Has he had a OT assessment yet?

Liffey Thu 09-Oct-08 14:14:03

Marne, that's where my son is verbally too. a Full 18 months behind. More, because they put him at`16 months verbally.

We are getting a statement of needs, so he is a priority, they've told me that.

Tclanger Thu 09-Oct-08 15:58:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

electra Thu 09-Oct-08 17:10:07

Message withdrawn

Liffey Thu 09-Oct-08 17:38:29

Thanks electra. We are seeing a paediatrician in 2 weeks. I wonder if there is a single question she might ask me that I haven't been asked before......

moondog Thu 09-Oct-08 21:39:52

T, if professional reports go over your head then this is not good. Insist on a meeting with the author in which they go over it with you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now