Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

advice on car seat straps please

(12 Posts)
Saker Thu 03-Mar-05 14:29:07

I'm sure some of you have been here so I wanted to ask your advice . Ds2 now weighs more than 18kg and therefore should no longer be in the standard 9month-4y car seats but in a booster with a back on using the adult strap. We tried him in ds1's at the weekend and he loved it but (as I was anticipating) immediately slipped his arm through the strap so he was only effectively strapped across the waist. I know that Crelling do harnesses for car seats but they all say to be used in conjunction with the seat belt and I can't see from the pictures how they would stop ds2 slipping his arm out? Anyone with any experience of this or any suggestions.

lou33 Thu 03-Mar-05 14:41:41

have you thought about a sn car seat, the britax on i think is for up to age 6, we have one, and it has the 5 point harness still, although costs a fair bit.

mamadadawahwah Thu 03-Mar-05 15:39:49

I asked this question earlier as i have a big child too. I went to MOthercare and they didnt offer anything like a separate harness in conjunction with a car seat belt, though for £90.00 they sell a car seat for up to the age of 9 which is plenty big enough for your toddler. I think I might buy it.

Saker Thu 03-Mar-05 18:50:44

Thanks I'll have a look at the car seats you suggest. Has anyone had any experience with using the Crelling harnesses in conjunction with a car seat?

eidsvold Thu 03-Mar-05 21:09:56

saker I am sure I saw the harness that then straps onto your car's seatbelt. It could be something I have seen here in Aus rather than in the UK. Will do a search and see what I can find.

eidsvold Sat 05-Mar-05 07:19:52

if you have a look at the britax.co.uk site and check out boosters.. something like this might be okay

here

if you check out the special needs section and the boosters... what about the hiliner or the kid one might be what you are after. According to the aussie britax site you can purchase a child safety harness to use with booster seats - can't see if that is the same as the UK one but I am suse a phone call to check would let you know.

Saker Sat 05-Mar-05 11:59:11

Thanks a lot eidsvold, that's really helpful, I will have a look into it and see what I can find. The Britax kid is what we have already for ds1 but that uses the adult belt. Hopefully I can find something to use in conjunction with it.

Brobb Sat 05-Mar-05 18:50:05

£399.99 for a car seat...omg!!!

Brobb Sat 05-Mar-05 18:51:48

£399.55....EXCLUDING VAT!!!!

MandM Mon 07-Mar-05 10:12:31

Brobb - the VAT is at 5% reduced rate rather than 17.5% standard. Still not good, but any saving helps!!!

pixel Mon 07-Mar-05 11:34:44

My ds escapes from booster seats too so we bought him the Britax Elite which is for up to six years. It is very roomy and he is quite small so we think it will last him for longer than that. We have been very pleased with it and when used in conjunction with a 'snugsit' there is no way he can get his arms out. As far as I can tell there is no difference between this seat and the special needs one apart from the chest clip (which we have solved)and £65!

misdee Mon 07-Mar-05 11:37:21

i'd go for the elite as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now