Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Temporary lactose intolerance--help!

(13 Posts)
Arabica Wed 08-Oct-08 14:14:09

DD's had explosive, smelly poos for 10 days (sorry if TMI) and my GP thinks it likely that she had an infection which has damaged the gut wall, making her temporarily lactose intolerant--so the milk in her paediasure (high-calorie) formula has been making things worse instead of better.
Trouble is, DD gets most of her calories from the milk--she does eat, but not very much. I stopped the paediasure last night and hey presto--first diarrhea-free night for 10 days.
We've got a first appointment with the gastro team at GOSH in a couple of weeks, and DD has a dietitian, but she's on leave. Anyone got any good ideas about what I can feed her or drinks I can try her with in the meantime? She's tried rice milk, which she seems to like, and she'll sip a bit of juice.
Even better, has anyone else's LO had this and been able to return to dairy products?

TotalChaos Wed 08-Oct-08 14:20:14

DS had a lactose intolerance this summer - I drastically cut dairy for a month, and then he was fine. As he was 4 though, I could just give him lots of sandwiches/quorn etc, didn't have the milk as food problem. Will she drink squash or flavoured water or kiddie herbal tea?

dustystar Wed 08-Oct-08 14:23:21

my neice had this and my sister used to get her diary-free milk and yogs. She was 3. The first time she had it it went on undiagnosed for months so it took a while for things to settle down. Now she tends to have a reaction to lactose whenever she has a tummy bug but she usually only needs to stay diary free for a few days.

Saker Wed 08-Oct-08 14:40:29

You can get a fresh semi-skimmed milk from most supermarkets called "Lactofree". It is in 2 pt containers and can be found with the normal milk. It tastes the same as normal milk.

You can also buy small pots of lactase enzyme here. You just add 4 drops to each pint of ordinary milk, refrigerate and then it is okay. With Ds2 who was lactose-intolerant (but does just seem to have recovered) I also used to add a drop or two to things like custard, rice pudding, icecream etc. However I found that because he drank quite a lot of milk anyway that if I was adding it to his milk that he could often cope with small quantities of other milky things presumably because he had the lactase still in his stomach. HTH

Arabica Wed 08-Oct-08 14:55:55

Thanks for the information My main issue is getting enough calories into her, especially if I am going to need to do this for a month. So the lactose-free milk sounds like a great idea, as does the lactase enzyme--perhaps I'd better ask the dietitian first before I stick it in her paediasure.

Saker Wed 08-Oct-08 15:11:16

Yes you maybe should check with the dietician. The Lactofree is just milk with lactase added also so the only advantage with it is that it's ready made up and it's only semi-skimmed which is not great for calories. The company that sell the lactase deliver very quickly.

misscutandstick Wed 08-Oct-08 16:46:43

quick side-note arabica <promises its not a hyjack> I was just wondering why it is that your little bean needs 'for a month'? And was wondering what her weight is, if you dont mind me asking?

Incidentally DS5 has always been milk intolerant (i assume its the protein and not the sugar he has a problem with), so after many trials of different milks (TBH i couldnt reccomend any one over another) hes on babymilk 'cow & gate infasoy' currently.

Arabica Sun 12-Oct-08 11:57:12

Hi MissC&S. GP warned me the intolerance might last a week to a month. She hasn't had it before. Her weight is fine at the moment but the reason we are worried is that she gets about 75% of her daily calories from paediasure: she doesn't have a big appetite.
However, we are hoping that the lack of paediasure might trigger a motivation to get more calories from her food. And so far her appetite seems to have improved a bit.

misscutandstick Sun 12-Oct-08 18:31:20

Thanks for getting back to me Arabica smile

Hopefully then, little bean will be fine in a month or so, thats good. Good news about the appetite!

Incidentally, DS5 has now had to be taken off soymilk too, it only occured to me a couple of days ago that the lastest 3mth diarrhea hes had may be caused by it. And ta-da yesterday and today no diarrhea (he was given soy milk 3mths ago when we took him off dairy, at which point he'd had constipation/diarrhea on and off all his life, so it didnt register that he couldnt tolerate soya either! DOH!)

Was wondering how the signing was going? I saw a thread a little while ago that you started and just wondered how it is.

HUGS XXX

Arabica Sun 12-Oct-08 21:59:08

DD seems to be tolerating rice milk v well. Perhaps that would work for you?
We are continuing with signing, although she doesn't really sign anything back except a thumbs-up, or a wave hello. She has, however, said 'go!', 'Oskar' (her brother's name) and 'good girl'!

ouryve Sun 12-Oct-08 23:52:10

Just adding that UHT Lactofree now comes in a whole milk variety. Our local Tesco had it the other week, but I@ve not seen it elsewhere, yet.

misscutandstick Mon 13-Oct-08 07:55:01

yes, hes on ricemilk- it seems that its one of the very few options left. but he drinks it fine and it doesnt seem to upset his tummy.

Ouryve, its a protein problem, hence the problem with so many foods and why hes FTT - so removal of lactose wont help very much at all. but many thanks for mentioning it. I have tescos a good source of variety tho too!

Arabica Mon 13-Oct-08 18:49:20

DD ate a huge lunch today. Am hoping we'll be able to give up paediasure indefinitely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now