Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

The Sunday Times article on Autism/Genius 05/10/08

(23 Posts)
Tclanger Mon 06-Oct-08 16:36:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Grammaticus Mon 06-Oct-08 16:37:41

Can you link?

Tclanger Mon 06-Oct-08 16:37:45

Grammaticus Mon 06-Oct-08 16:49:14

Thank you! Interesting article, I hadn't seen it

drowninginlaundry Mon 06-Oct-08 17:10:42

if I could get a pound every time I see that fecking Rain Man movie mentioned in an article about autism....

interesting, but what mainstream media universally fails to emphasise is that it's a spectrum. For every autistic savant, there are hundreds who struggle with basic life skills. When DS1 was diagnosed, so many people - trying to be helpful for sure - said to us 'oh he'll probably be very good at maths or music and be an academic'. The media loves to portray autism as something quirky, with superhuman intelligence. It's not helpful.

S B-C's research is interesting though, more is needed of course.

Tclanger Mon 06-Oct-08 17:30:25

TotalChaos Mon 06-Oct-08 17:42:08

Interesting, but the numbers of students with ASD seem very small to draw much of a conclusion. Also a study of Cambridge Students is going to inevitably be biased towards the AS/HFA end of the spectrum.

jellyhead Mon 06-Oct-08 17:49:49

My ds1 has no signs of being gifted in anything.
His school reports are average or below average, I so agree with DIL the media does love a quirky autism story. I was reading an article in the Times today how playing with lego or following an obsession can help autistic children as it can lead to their career.
Ds1 is too lazy to have obsessions and never really has but he is on the spectrum.
He must be a very boring autistic child!

my dad was an engineer though

Seuss Mon 06-Oct-08 18:46:16

www.thetransporters.com. It was referred to at the end of the sunday times article on another thread. available on-line I think...

Seuss Mon 06-Oct-08 18:46:34

oops posted in wrong place

misscutandstick Mon 06-Oct-08 18:51:27

my dad is an engineer (as was his dad actually) and a really good one too, although he is ADHD and can certainly think 'outside the box' TBH ive often wondered if hes ever even considered the possibility that there is a 'box'.

Dh is a computer programmer.

DS1 is ADHD, and DS5 has classic autism.

well, i think its all a co-incidence...

MannyMoeAndJack Mon 06-Oct-08 18:52:50

I was recently telling somebody about my ds and the second I mentioned the 'A' word, she said, 'oooh, they're often really intelligent and gifted, blah blah'...her face dropped somewhat when I explained that ds has SLD!!!!!

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Mon 06-Oct-08 18:59:24

I went to the conference. Interesting indeed and a very mixed bag. SBC's talk referred to autism but he was talking about Asperger's I didn't think it was that relevant for the autism I deal with. That group remain unstudied with no voice imo.

Some interesting questions/discussion on how to define talent in autism were raised. Some severely affected kids do amazing things (such as scream the place down because something tiny is 'wrong') but that's not counted in most cases.

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Mon 06-Oct-08 19:01:06

Manny- that point was mentioned at the conference.

I loved Allan Snyder's talk.

Tclanger Mon 06-Oct-08 21:31:28

davegahan Mon 06-Oct-08 22:21:14

The art talks were really interesting. The article is a funny mishmash of the meeting (which took place over 2 days). The talks were all separate so not necessarily meant to combine together iyswim (it's jimjams btw).

Tclanger Tue 07-Oct-08 08:00:28

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Tue 07-Oct-08 08:15:00

I think the report is a fair summary of SBC's talk. But then I don't think SBC has ever been near a severely autistic child

The meeting itself expressed a wide range of views - although it is my belief that many working in research into autism don't even realise that children like ds1 even exist (not all- but many - children like ds1 don't take part in studies).

FioFio Tue 07-Oct-08 09:22:33

Message withdrawn

Tclanger Tue 07-Oct-08 09:29:26

Blossomhill Tue 07-Oct-08 09:32:15

shock fiofio they really asked your dh that? shock

FioFio Tue 07-Oct-08 09:35:31

Message withdrawn

luckylady74 Tue 07-Oct-08 09:40:30

snap jellyhead - ds1 has as and is behind in all academic areas as well as all the social/emotional stuff. My lovely well meaning friends pass me the details of maths games websites and buy him top trumps - sadly he may well remember all their birthdays and door numbers, but he can't add 1 and 1!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now