Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Help schools a nightmare wont stay in the classroom like two different children in one

(5 Posts)
Kazann Sun 05-Oct-08 22:43:17

Hi i am a new to mumsnet my daughter is nearly 7 had an awful reception year at school was referred to a nurture unit for a year where things really calmed down and has just gone back into mainstream in september so this is her 3rd year in a different school she has a statement 15 hours a week for social and communication problems and she has absence epilepsy I know its early days but she is not settling in her new school at all last week was particularly bad she bit a teacher and kicked her helper sometimes she is aware of what she is doing somtimes she is not she is like two different people as if some one comes along and switches a switch on and off she gets very frustrated and angry and has a very short attention span somedays she runs around the school annd doesnt stay in the classroom at all so consequently is not learning alot she is quite sensory smells things does not like loud noises and doesent eat particularly well as she doesnt like the feel or tastes of lots of foods we are thinking of getting her tested for autism has anyone got any help or advice they can give or a child who sounds similar look forward to hearing from you.

bubblagirl Mon 06-Oct-08 12:42:49

hi my ds is 3 and has asd all i can say is write down all your concerns and take to gp who can then refer you to right people to assess her

welcome to mumsnet by the way someone with dd same age may be able to help more as my ds was obviously diagnosed young x

dustystar Mon 06-Oct-08 12:53:28

Hi Kazann - welcome to mumsnetsmile

My ds is 8 and has AS and ADHD. He can suddenly switch from calm to raging with little or no warning. I agree with bubblagirl that you should make a list of all your concerns and go to see your GP and ask for a referral.

Widemouthfrog Mon 06-Oct-08 13:08:20

What you describe is not inconsistent with an ASD. My DS also had a nightmare in reception, but with a statement for 1:1 and diagnosis of autism and epilepsy, he has now calmed down considerably and is doing well. His TAs are very experienced and know how to handle him to achieve this, but its a very steep learning curve. Is your school receiving any external advice or support from an inclusion service? There are some very simple things that can help - visual timetables, lots of planning and preparation for changes, a 'time-out' quiet area where she can withdraw when sensory overload is becoming an issue, etc.

Definitely request an assessment. At least then you will know what you are dealing with.

Good luck!

Kazann Mon 06-Oct-08 23:13:40

thank you for your advice I will definately request an assessment so everyone can give her the right help.
widemouthfrog luv your nickname by the way school is working on all of those things so hopefully things will get better i will keep you all posted thanks for your comments, help and advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now