Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Cant wait for dx, what do you think of my son???

(43 Posts)
mamadadawahwah Wed 02-Mar-05 15:46:02

I have to wait four months for my son to get diagnosed with anything. He is just two with speech delay.

I wonder whether those of you, particularly those of you whose children have an autism dx could advise what you think of my son

He seemed perfectly normal till 18/19 mos when i noticed he wasnt deveoping any words. He had mama dada and buh bye. Now at 24 months he still has no words except his "own" words. he babbles constantly. He mirrors me in facial expressions, will try to sing along with me, will try and mimic me in saying the numbers of alphabet. He loves kids, but dosent really know how to play with them. He goes to people very readily. He dosent stim except for some hand flapping recently. He makes believe the remote control is a phone and holds it to his and my ear.

The list goes on. He is inquisitive, loves cupboards, wrecks the tv and video, looks at books constantly, loves television, has to "into" whatever i am doing. But he dosent point, dosent follow my finger or look when i say look.

He wont go and "get" things if told. He does love to be held and will come running if i say "come to mama" with his arms stretched out. Sleeps well, never been sick. No vaccinations of any kind. Loves playdough, sand, and building blocks. Loves all toys, loves rough and tumble.

He looks like the gerber baby (americans know who this is and he is very big for his age. He tries to tell other children "stories" but its all babble.

Can someone who "knows" please put me out of my misery??????? Heartfelt thanks to you

binkybetsy Wed 02-Mar-05 16:08:54

My dd only babbled at 18 mo, nothing beforehand, and then at 23 mo, speech exploded and she's never shut up since. I wonder if it's just a speech problem, or perhaps a little immaturity. IMHO
Is he your first child?

Jimjams Wed 02-Mar-05 16:10:36

The only thing that worries me is the lack of pointing and the loss of words. It's good that he mimics facial expressions. How did he learn things like drinking out of a cup etc? Did you have to show him or did he just copy you. `Does he copy other kids?

Kelly1978 Wed 02-Mar-05 16:12:37

I think he sounds pretty normal really. My son had no real language at two. The HV was concerned, but I didn't want to pressurize him and so said I would review the siutation in 6 months. It seemed like overnight he suddenly started coming out with loads of words and although is still a bit behind, he has caught up a lot. My ds is just extremely stubborn.

Your ds is showing signs of imagination, and loves books which is great for his age, my ds did neither of these until recently. Not playing with peers is common for his age. I would try not to worry too much, all children are different.

ggglimpopo Wed 02-Mar-05 16:13:54

Message withdrawn

Jimjams Wed 02-Mar-05 16:17:06

The not pointing is important though (I know you already know that mamadadawahwah so I'm not hesitating to say it on here. however not pointing at 18 months is a red flag for a language dealy/disorder not necessarily autism.

does your son have any signs of sensory problems. At 2 ds1 was pretty much as you described your son BUT he did show signs of sesnory issues. Insisted lights were on, wouldn't put feet\legs on the grass. He was also beginning to show signs of obsession- stairs had to be counted, doors had to be shut.

sparklymieow Wed 02-Mar-05 16:17:30

I had to wait two years to get my DS dxd with CP....
My DD2 didn't have many words till recently and she is now 3. Because she was able to do everything else I wasn't worried. She has been to SAL and they want to help her with attention and listening, thats all.

macwoozy Wed 02-Mar-05 16:19:30

My son who has a dx of autism sounds very different at 2years compared to your child. My ds never went through the babbling stage. Never attempted to sing along with me, nor was interested in any music, and being able to mimic my facial expression at 2 years was out of the question. He wouldn't have approached anybody neither as he just wasn't interested. There are many people on here with a wealth of information about autism, Good luck

Newbarnsleygirl Wed 02-Mar-05 16:22:27

It's interesting to read this as I'm wondering the same thing at the moment with dd who is 17 months.

She does point but makes no attempt to try and speak and loses interest pretty quickly. We thought when she was younger she was trying to talk but obviously we realise now she wasn't. I very nearly called my hv this morning but something keeps telling me not to.

I'm hoping it will be one of those things were we'll wake up one morning and she'll just start talking but I know if she doesn't we'll have to look in to it.

I shall follow this thread with interest.
Sorry for the hi-jack!

coppertop Wed 02-Mar-05 16:24:03

The mimicking sounds really good. It's something that my 2 boys have never really been interested in, although they will copy actions if you get them focussed and can keep their concentration.

The lack of pointing is a little worrying, although this alone doesn't necessarily mean autism. It's just one of the 'red flags'.

The babbling as though talking is also a good sign. Even ds2, who started to speak earlier than ds1 did, didn't do that. He had no 'jargoning' at all and generally tends to use just the single words that he knows.

The fact that he doesn't understand what you say to him is a concern, although again not necessarily a sign of autism. I think the first step would probably be ruling out a hearing problem.

mamadadawahwah Wed 02-Mar-05 16:48:12

Thanks everyone for your comments. I'm not ruling out autism cause a parent needs to be prepared. I have friends with autistic children, good friends who perhaps are seeing what they see in their own kids and are labelling my son as autistic. I suppose i shouldnt listen to them. As yet, no real tests have been given to him though.

I should also ask, is it normal for an autistic child to play readily with toys and eat all kinds of food. Oh yes, my son handled a cup and a beaker with no instruction. But really, most kids would figure this out if they know there is "food" in there, at least i would think.

I am going on and on about "my" son, and would dearly like to hear about your kids too which some of you have already posted. I am in limbo land and need some perspective. There are thousands out there like me and its dreadful to think what they are going through too.

I should add my son likes to draw and picked up pencils and crayons pretty easily. he uses an etch a sketch. Its just that he hasnt got a clue, he has no idea about safety, if you let go of his hand he will run away immediately to the nearest toy or kid or dog or car exhaust pipe, which he loves (very dangerous). thus he is on a leash when we go out. Has tantrums about five minutes later so he goes back into the push chair.

He still mouths everything and eye contact is poor. Fixated by the tv. Loves sing songs during mother toddler group but dosent interact with other kids, just flits. No attention span.

I never though i would be coming to a "special needs" section of mumsnet and its all such a shock as I am sure it was for all of you too.
By the way, yes he is only child, has no real friends we dont know many people and he dosent get out with people hardly at all except when we go shopping or at toddler group. I suppose that could be part of the problem. He was a good baby too, when he was little so i left him a lot on his own while i fiddled on the internet. He is still a very "good" child, sleeps very well, with 3 hour naps every day. Loves the car and any kind of excitement. He cant wait to get outside and if i say "bye bye" to him as i walk towards the door, he knows we are going out.

He just seems very oddly immature for his age.

Davros Wed 02-Mar-05 17:39:04

I'm sorry, I said on another thread that some things you had said made me think ASD:
"... has some sensory integration issues and a lot of other things like not coming to his name when called, not understanding what i say etc etc...."
but I'm not so sure reading what you've put here about playing with toys and running to you, liking other people etc. Stimming is a red herring at this age as its very subtle or quite undeveloped, if a child has ASD just give them time to develop those stims!
I really don't think that most mothers of children with ASD will see it, or claim to, in other children who don't have it.

Socci Wed 02-Mar-05 17:54:41

Message withdrawn

Jimjams Wed 02-Mar-05 18:04:42

I aked about the beaker as ds1 didn't learn that sort of thing without physical prompts- however is a bit dyspraxic as well so maybe that's why in his case.

I agree with davros and socci about stims- ds1 didn't really start stimming until recently (he's almost 6) at least not very obviously (i realise now he had visual stims). he even hand flaps now like the best of them and I remember thinking he couldn't be auti as he didn't hand flap.

I think if friends with ASD children have raised concerns a proper assessment is needed. A warning though - who are you seeing in 4 months time? If it's a SALT they won't diagnose.

Newbarnselygirl - if your dd is pointing then you have no need to worry. Speech is trhe least important part of communication.

Saker Wed 02-Mar-05 18:12:25

My ds2 is 3.5y and has a vague label of global developmental delay - one possibility is dyspraxia because he has poor motor skills and a lot of the related organisational / motor planning type problems associated with this. He also did not point until about 19months and still does rarely now except in books. He finds it hard to follow a point. We have had autism ruled out by clinical pyschologist and paed, and he doesn't stim or have any interest in routines, obsessions etc. However he has always seemed immature for his age and finds it hard to play with other children. He has little sense of danger and still could not be trusted not to run in the road. His language is delayed and muddled although it was better than what you describe for your son. I just describe this to see if it rings any bells for you. You mentioned your son could draw and use an etch-a-sketch, what are his other motor skills like?

I may have missed this but when you say your son has a language delay - who has told you this? Was a paed or SALT? Did they make any mention of autism or related disorders?

coppertop Wed 02-Mar-05 18:27:47

My boys both love toys but tend not to play with them in the same way that an NT child would. I have a video of ds2 playing with a toy car. In the video he is 23 months old. He is lying down flat on the floor pushing the car back and forth about 3 or 4 inches in each direction. There are no "Brrrrrrm" noises and no attempt to push the car across the floor. furniture etc. He has a toy garage but will use it purely to push ramps etc up and down. He doesn't put the car in it and pretend he it is stopping for petrol etc. Ds1 is older and is only now beginning to add the sound effects and make small pretend games with cars. Even then these games are repetitive.

We've done some work with turn-taking and ds2 will now roll a ball back and forth to me. If no-one initiates this game he flicks the ball with his wrist and makes it spin. The OT at his assessment found it unusual that he had the fine motor control necessary to do this.

Ds1 isn't keen on drawing but is getting better at it. The school are helping with this. Ds2 adores drawing and will sit and draw for as long as there is someone there to hand him paper.

Ds1 just didn't 'get' the concept of feeding himself. When drinking from a bottle he didn't understand that to get it all you needed to tip up the bottle. Ds2 started feeding himself with a spoon at a very young age - again something to do with his fine motor skills being ahead of where they should have been.

Neither of my boys has a sense of danger but at 2yrs ds2 is still very young and I would imagine this is pretty normal for a 2yr-old. The thing that I would say is different about ds2 is that he just doesn't learn from danger. If he falls off somewhere he gets straight back up there. He doesn't seem to feel pain either. If he cries it's because he's angry about things not going his way rather than because he is hurt.

stitch Wed 02-Mar-05 18:29:54

i dont actually know anything about special needs. some of the language you are all using is latin to me.
BUt the thngs you say about your ds seem to be perfectly normal tome.none of my three kids had any sense of danger at two years old. my 3.5 yr old ds and 2 yr old dd have almost exactly the same language abilities at the moment.
why jump to conclusions?

Socci Wed 02-Mar-05 18:37:29

Message withdrawn

Jimjams Wed 02-Mar-05 18:58:20

ct ds1 is the same - doesn't learn not to do something if he falls and hurts himself in the process.It was something that was commented on during one assessment - he fell off a chair trying to escape from a room- really hurt himself but went straight back to it.

At 2 his main sign was lack of pointing and no ability to follow a point. otherwise he was happy, smily, affectionate, liked books, engaging on a one to one basis. his adult directed attention was poor- but that goes with language delay anyway. i think his official dx at the time was mild language delay. i can't think of much else to say about him as he seemed so "normal" at 2. His play was a bit unenthusiastic- he tended to look and fiddle, but he would play with trains and cars (often lay down on the floor and looked at them from odd angles). Liked traffic lights, countdoown and washing machines.

macwoozy Wed 02-Mar-05 19:22:23

At 2 years, my ds type of play was generally restricted to walking around and around the living room whilst holding a toy car making humming noises. In fact whilst he was doing this, he could be totally oblivious to other children even if he was in a room full of kids.
At this age he was also very difficult, prone to severe tantums, especally if things weren't going his own way. His understanding of language was very poor, and it was only when he was about 2 years that he called me mummy for the first time.
He never played with othe children, and spent most of the time on his own.
One thing, he certainly would never have come to me if I called him, I seemed irrelevant in his little world. What makes your friends suggest he has autism other than his speech problems.

coppertop Wed 02-Mar-05 19:25:47

Ds1 seemed deaf a lot of the time at 2. Ds2 is much better but there are still a lot of times when I have to touch his shoulder to get his attention. This was noticed during his assessment.

Even now I can repeat the same thing 5 times before ds1 replies - if I'm lucky!

Socci Wed 02-Mar-05 20:16:40

Message withdrawn

Jimjams Thu 03-Mar-05 08:14:45

snap socci!!! countdown for a week at 2 then the alphabet (but no speech otherwise). And although ds1 is basicallly non-verbal - or anything he does say is very mutilated - we still get an occasional word out of nowhere, clear as anything, never to be heard again. i remember when he was 2 he said "seal" in the bath to his seal bath toy perfectly- never again (it struck me as odd as generally he can't ay "s"). Last week he said "naughty"

Socci Thu 03-Mar-05 08:24:12

Message withdrawn

Jimjams Thu 03-Mar-05 08:57:45

hee hee I used to say "it's all very welll being able to say the alphabet and trapezium, and know the symbols for divided by and times but not much use when you can't say yes or no"

Frustrating as well as a amystery!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now