Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Soon to be teacher; where can I get as much info as possible about SEN do you think?

(8 Posts)
Alambil Sun 05-Oct-08 21:40:28

Is there any literature I can read - or any good books about things like ADHD, Autism, dyslexia etc because I don't think we have much input on these as we train

Sorry if this is in the wrong bit - I read the thread about a bad day at school and it prompted me to ask

TotalChaos Sun 05-Oct-08 21:44:03

jessica kingsley press does loads of books about the sort of SN/SEN issues that would crop up in education. also nas website (www.nas.org.uk) is good starting point for reading about ASD. The Martian in the Playground by Claire Sainsbury is good on the sort of problems kids with Aspergers/High Functioning Autism have in mainstream schools. the communication charities -I think they are www.ican.org.uk and www.afasic.org.uk may also have useful info about effect of language problems on children.

Peachy Sun 05-Oct-08 21:44:40

Hi Lewis

If you CAT me I can answer any questions (I might fire them back at you about the PGCE as i'm applying LOL abut ASD. the national autistic website is a great start too; I think it would be worth looking for similar groups for theothers too.

I know it may not be possible now, but UWN does an MA in SEN for teachers if you ever get the chance, I've been considering and was accepted this year but too much on my plate: hope to do after PGCE part time.

Alambil Sun 05-Oct-08 21:47:10

well the PGCE gives 60 MA credits, so it's a foot on the ladder

I don't have CAT atm (can't afford it lol) but I'll get it in a few weeks I think and will make use of your knowledge

Thanks for the good start though; I know there's a lot to learn on a PGCE but I'm quite shocked we don't have any real SEN input

Glitterknickaz Sun 05-Oct-08 21:47:58

Only covers Aspergers but Tony Attwood's book is very good.

It's called The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome.

Peachy Sun 05-Oct-08 21:57:40

Lewis

peaches and cream 04 @ bt internet dot com

smile

Hassled Sun 05-Oct-08 22:01:34

Lewis - I started a thread recently (in Education, I think) asking how much SEN training was given in teacher training - and the overwhelming answer was "not enough". So I think it's fantastic that you're trying to learn more - in a few years' time someone will be starting a thread praising the teacher who managed to recognise SEN at an early stage, and it will be about you

Alambil Sun 05-Oct-08 22:26:20

aw hassled, that's a nice idea!

My sister's dyspraxia and dyslexia wasn't diagnosed til she was 14, although it was a few years ago and not so well known, I still get shocked when I think of it

peachy, thanks, will make a note

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now