Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Just had a nightmare picking dd up!!

(32 Posts)
Dingle Wed 02-Mar-05 12:26:36

It has taken me nearly an hour to get to the nusery, (only about 5 minutes walks usually) and back home.

Firstly the snow was so deep I just couldn't push the buggy, it took so much strength and I was just going along like a snow plough!
Like a mad woman, I though, we'll be alright, just take a very slow walk home with dd.
Got there, school closing and the wanted me to take ds as well. He came out, soaking wet, no sock, no wellies! Waited and eventually got ready to face the snow, they had locked the side gate, so I had to march all the way round the school.
Before we were even out the school gate,dd's wellie had come off. She was moaning because the snow was going in her face (she seem to have a lot of sensory issues, that no-one is really helping us with!)and was refusing to walk. I picked her up and tried to carry her, but she is the size of a 5 yr old with DS, and almost 2.5 stone! I just couldn't do it.
I felt like just sitting down in the snow and crying my eyes out.
Back home at last I feel so exhausted and out of my depth, is life always going to be like this?
Something as stupid as getting the kids home from a school/nursery only minutes away and I felt like I had been adandoned in the middle of the Antartic!!

amynnixmum Wed 02-Mar-05 12:29:02

{{{{hugs}}}}

LittleRedRidingHood Wed 02-Mar-05 13:32:10

Sympathy from me too - DS is 3 and weighs 3 stone!!!!!! much too heavy too carry anymore - well not more than 10 metres!

KarenThirl Wed 02-Mar-05 13:46:36

Sorry it's been such a bad morning. A bit of snow can make the world fall in, can't it? Hope it's melted by tomorrow!

Blossomhill Wed 02-Mar-05 13:51:56

<hugs> Dingle. Sorry you had such an awful time.

Try and have a cup of tea, that should make you feel a bit better. It always does with me (or something stronger ). xxx

Dingle Wed 02-Mar-05 13:56:57

I didn't have her AFOs on her, as she only has trainers to fit over them, and TBH her walking without them is really hard work! Especially when wellies just don't seem to stay on her little feet!
There was me fit for bursting into tears and all ds(5) could say was "isn't this fun mummy!"
DH is still at a meeting in London, with his car in a station car park on the outskirts of Kent. All the roads here seem to be closing, he is running out of options to get back home if things don't improve here.
It seems I am in for a very long day!

Sponge Wed 02-Mar-05 14:01:53

Sadly England does completely fall apart with a bit of snow, but happily it doesn't happen often or last long.
At least ds had a good time. Hope you thaw out soon .

Marina Wed 02-Mar-05 14:05:45

Crumbs Dingle, you've copped a bad load of weather down your way! It's just rain in NW Kent/SE London...
Sending you a hug and the hope your dh makes it home to do his bit. Where is his car parked, maybe I can get dh (at home in the burbs with "male flu") to provide evidence that it is NOT snowbound!

Keane Wed 02-Mar-05 14:10:03

they have sent our home aswell dingle

I am completely soaked and kids are just crying cos they are so cold

Keane Wed 02-Mar-05 14:11:31

its not a little bit of snow though

monday the whole was basically CLOSED

Keane Wed 02-Mar-05 14:12:12

THE WHOLE TOWN THAT IS :O NOT THE HOLE

Marina Wed 02-Mar-05 14:13:17

You I'm not so surprised to hear about Keane, I've always thought it's very exposed in that part of Kent. (You get worse weather there than my parents do in West Cumbria ).
Hope you all warm up soon, you poor things all.

Marina Wed 02-Mar-05 14:13:45

Hole town is a bit too cruel surely!

Keane Wed 02-Mar-05 14:14:58

we do tend to have the hottest weather aswell though

dh in sevenoaks, is saying "whats all the fuss about?!" hhhmmm we shall see

Keane Wed 02-Mar-05 14:15:42

marina

Dingle Wed 02-Mar-05 14:15:58

It's at Sidcup Marina. Not long spoke to my MIL in Dartford and it's just rain there ATM.

My mum, who lives opposite has just let me know that she can't get up to hospital for dialysis today and has to manage until Friday. It's a releif in a way as she has to travel all the way to King's. The ambulance picks another lady up from the Isle of Sheppy beforehand, and the driver is still stuck on the island.

Oh well, let's try to organise an activity to keep the kiddies occupied, I was hoping to do some of dd's SALT work with her this afternoon, ds will just have to help out by joining in to!

BH-I was tempted by the "something stronger" I must admit, but settled for a huge, fat egg and bacon sarnie!!

Marina Wed 02-Mar-05 14:30:10

Amazing how it can change in just a few miles down the A2, isn't it. It is tipping it down rainwise in Sidcup and New Eltham, Dingle, apparently, no snow. Lot of whining about venturing out to nursery later, might send him your post to help him "refocus".
Egg and bacon sarnie sounds good and richly deserved.

Dingle Wed 02-Mar-05 14:42:17

Hi there Keane! Have you warmed up yet?

Keane Wed 02-Mar-05 14:43:11

just lit the fire

bbbbbbrrrrrrrrrr

Dingle Wed 02-Mar-05 14:57:58

Just turned up the CH and put the kettle on!

When I got back I looked like the incredible aboninable snow-mummy! Quite like that, perhaps that should be my new name!

Keane Wed 02-Mar-05 15:00:24

LOL
ikwym!

HappyDaddy Wed 02-Mar-05 15:03:18

Slightly off topic but my dw is stuck at Victoria station, left work early at 2, cos all the trains to Medway are delayed. You'd think we'd never had snow before.

Dingle Wed 02-Mar-05 15:03:48

See, my fingers are so cold I can't even spell abominable right!!

Keane Wed 02-Mar-05 15:05:58

this is my first winter down here so i dont know what it is usually like

Marina Thu 03-Mar-05 12:20:34

How are you doing today ladies? Our train (semi-fast to Gillingham) last night was full of incredulous commuters wondering WHY they couldn't be picked up from Chatham station as usual...did your dh get home OK Dingle?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: