Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Feel strange - school, special needs, all sorts really

(6 Posts)
scorpio1 Fri 03-Oct-08 16:05:07

DS1 (6) is dyspraxic basically but no dx yet

just had new teacher ome up and hand me a SALT referral and i dont even know why

have to tell his dad and grandparents all about it now. Gmother will think its my fault, dad is rubbish anyway at best of times

what does an OT do?

ds2 has SALT and i wonder why do my children have these issues? i never did, no family connection etc

sad

no senco until monday

(thanks pagwatch)

pagwatch Fri 03-Oct-08 16:23:35

you are welcome scorpio grin

padua Fri 03-Oct-08 16:39:34

My ds (4) is undergoing similar assessments for dyspraxia. He had his OT and Physio last week. They asked him to undress and put his own shorts on. They got him to do lots of fine motor skill stuff like picking up pennies and putting them in a slot as quickly as he could. They got him to follow them as they did various body movements. He had to attempt to throw and catch a ball. They also asked me to fill in a sensory profile. I too have a SALT appointment next. My ds sounds quite articulate when he speaks to familiar adults but if asked a direct question or if he is talking fast his speech is sloppy and words run into each other. With dyspraxia there can be associated speech difficulties. None of my family have ever had any of these sort of difficulties and I too don't understand it.
The teacher should not have handed you a form without explanation and you need to take this up with the senco. Try not to worry over the weekend and see the senco as soon as you can. Good luck.

TotalChaos Fri 03-Oct-08 19:37:38

agree with padua that teacher just handing out form without explanation is not on. only fair to tell his dad but (assuming grandparents are your parents), if you feel they will be unhelpful, then you could always just give out info on a need to know basis while you are feeling wobbly.

scorpio1 Fri 03-Oct-08 19:39:24

they are his parents, v supportive of me always though. my parents know.

they will be here in 15 mins

Tclanger Fri 03-Oct-08 20:04:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now