Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Arrrrgggghhhh!! ASD experts please come and share your views of my dd's recent behaviour!

(14 Posts)
electra Fri 03-Oct-08 13:56:13

Message withdrawn

Seuss Fri 03-Oct-08 14:29:23

My ds is 8 and goes through phases. At the moment he is fine but a few months ago he was hitting and kicking. I never really got to the bottom of why, could only put it down to tiredness and copying others/a game he'd seen. I did notice that sometimes he seemed to be throwing/hitting to see what would happen, either something smashing/someone crying or screaming. We had to be careful how we reacted to things so as not to encourage him. Don't know if this rings any bells with your daughter but just wanted to say that for my ds he has periods of challenging behaviour and then comes out the other side so don't panic! (4.5 was quite a challenging time for him actually - must be something in that!)

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Fri 03-Oct-08 15:27:45

I am having similar issues with ds1. In his case his behaviour is fine at school, but horrendous at home especially in his work sessions where he is incredibly disruptive. Quite unlike him tbh. I am going to talk to our supervisor this afternoon.

Outside the sessions his challenging behaviours seem to be related to sensory seeking (and he bites himself constantly, let alone the rest of us). We've started shiatsu but I think if we could get it (ha ha) he would really benefit from proper SI and OT.

electra Fri 03-Oct-08 19:12:06

Message withdrawn

amber32002 Fri 03-Oct-08 19:20:35

Yup, sounds like school overload.
Silly question, but is she working at school in a room with fluorescent lighting and computers with LED screens? Or machinery that's making a high pitched whining noise that probably doesn't bother anyone else? We have such sensitive senses that what seems like a normal classroom for you can be like entering the Battle of the Somme for us. And worse still, we're hopeless at even knowing what's stressing us out.

I wonder if they can give her an extra break in a quiet room with a blanket she can hide under for a while so she can just chill out? Often works well. Not always, though.

electra Fri 03-Oct-08 19:55:02

Message withdrawn

electra Fri 03-Oct-08 19:55:28

Message withdrawn

electra Fri 03-Oct-08 19:58:49

Message withdrawn

StudentMadwife Fri 03-Oct-08 21:22:44

she sounds exatly like my ds1 4.8, we're waiting for the pead appointment on 6th nov and Im counting the hours.
Im glad the week is over, but worried about what next week will bring.
His waking up is getting earlier and earlier, his behaviour seems to be worsening by the day and Im finding it hard to feel normal. School is proving to be quite an alienating experience.

The basket thing is familiar too and covering the head.sad

siblingrivalry Fri 03-Oct-08 21:36:56

Hi Electra. I would just like to agree with jimjams -OT might be a good idea. My dd is going through ASD dx. We have had a lot of input with a great OT and have just done a sensory profile which shows that dd has many, many sensory issues. I'm certainly no expert, but it might be that that a new classroom, along with close proximity to lots of children, may be upsetting your dd.
Hope you manage to get some help x

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Fri 03-Oct-08 22:03:42

Well, we've been given a new method for dealing with challenging behaviours. I actually think it might work (it has to really; ds1 is adding a behaviour a day at the moment and kicked me hard in the kneecap today inbetween spitting at me!)

I'll let you know and will give a more detailed account if it works.

electra Tue 07-Oct-08 13:19:42

Message withdrawn

Kazann Wed 08-Oct-08 17:41:35

Hi electra my dd is 7 this month and has been displaying some challenging behaviours at school she has a statement for social and communication problems and epilepsy but for a long time i have thought there is something else going on with her which we are in the process of looking into. School does feel like a very alien place i agree. My DD pulled her one to one helpers hair today and made her cry and then turned round and said your scared of me arent you, i felt completely mortified when i was told.
I know exactly how you feel its not easy is it BIG HUGS

electra Mon 13-Oct-08 18:52:37

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now