Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Could this be another type of seizure

(6 Posts)
Nat1H Thu 02-Oct-08 09:45:13

DS2 has CP and epilepsy. He has absence and generalised/partial seizures. Recently, I have noticed that he will suddenly begin to breathe very deeply - as though he is asleep. His body relaxes totally (as though asleep), then he will suddenly 'wake up' and carry on with what he is doing. He can do this 3 or 4 times in a row, which is why, at first, I thought it may be a behaviour or a way of relaxing. He was watching TV this morning on his own, and I heard his breathing from the room next door. When I went to look, he suddenly got up from the couch and started playing. Am I imagining things??
Nat

FioFio Thu 02-Oct-08 09:46:37

Message withdrawn

Nat1H Thu 02-Oct-08 09:52:44

Thanks Fio. I must admit he has been doing this for a while now, and he only does it when sitting or lying down (although he doesn't stand much anyway!). At first I thought it was an attention thing - if I pretend to be really tired, then I might get a cuddle - but I was surprised when he did it with no-one in the room this morning. I am possibly imagining things grin

SaintRiven Thu 02-Oct-08 17:52:20

dd's breathing always changes when a seizure starts. Is he spaced or dopey afterwards?

Nat1H Thu 02-Oct-08 20:43:03

No, not at all. Its a bit like an absence, but with heavy breathing! Lasts a bit longer than his absences though - about 15-25 seconds. It's just like he is asleep (without his eyes closed)

SaintRiven Fri 03-Oct-08 08:12:41

might be a partial seizure or a longer absence.
I think any weirdness in a child who has epilepsy generally turns out to be seizure related unfortunately sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now