Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

What do they do about SATS then?

(14 Posts)
SaintRiven Thu 02-Oct-08 08:22:56

DD, as you know, is in a <normal poeple> school but its doubtful she'll ever read and she'll certianly never write even if she turns out to be Einstien.
What will they do with regarding SATS in Y2 then?

ChopsTheDuck Thu 02-Oct-08 08:40:09

ds1 is getting a scribe to write for him. I'm sure you can get people to read the questions too in the case of not being able to read, so reading and writing isn't so much an issue.

I'm not sure if they are actually mandatory?

SaintRiven Thu 02-Oct-08 08:42:09

she can't speak either.
Normally I wouldn't allow my kids to take SATS but I wondering how they will be fully inclusive. Cos I'm picky like that grin

ChopsTheDuck Thu 02-Oct-08 08:46:29

grin

Does she communicate at all yet? How long do you have? Sorry, can't remember how old she is.

The sats are supposed to be done so that they are inclusive and it isn't possible to fail. Don't think they have really considered all needs though!

I really don't know how it is all going to work and ds1 has his this spring. He can barely write and the scribe isn't allowed to do the bits that measure handwriting for him. So there is no way he is going to be able to do it all.

SaintRiven Thu 02-Oct-08 08:49:25

she's in reception grin
I like to get my frets in well in advance. But given my friends lad with athetoid CP (so no seizures or sensory issues) still can't read at 7 and is only just mastering his communication aid it made me wonder.
So no, they haven't considered SN at all.

ChopsTheDuck Thu 02-Oct-08 09:14:42

Searching the net, everywhere is Very Quiet on any information on sats with severe sn. wink

has she started with a communication aid yet? I did some work experience in a primary school which was a sort of center for children with sn, alongside mainstream kids. I reckona bout half of the children with cp were getting quite efficient with them by year 2.

magso Thu 02-Oct-08 09:39:01

My son was assessed using P scales for his sats as he can't read, write or count etc ( actually sitting still is a bit beyond him!. These are designed for sn children and are I'm told quite flexible.

Woooozle100 Thu 02-Oct-08 09:48:01

oh it took a few messages on this thread for me to get what SATS are. * tells self SATS are school test thingies as well as oxygen level readings on beepy machine*

sphil Thu 02-Oct-08 09:52:47

I think children on P scales are disapplied for SATs, because P scales means that they're working below Level 1 of the National Curriculum. I certainly don't expect DS2 to be taking them when he's in Y2 (next year).

SaintRiven Thu 02-Oct-08 09:53:47

we're waiting for one. She can't use her hands and she can't visually scan. So its gonna have to be a very complex device.
They haven't even sorted her switch and head switch mount yet angry

ChopsTheDuck Thu 02-Oct-08 10:05:55

sad

Hope you get them sorted soon. It so infuriating. One of the girls I worked with actually had all private care as her cp was caused by negligence. It was amazing how much more she could achieve because she had the private care, privately funded 1:1, all the equipment available. It should be there for everyone.

ouryve Thu 02-Oct-08 23:48:25

I'm crossing my fingers that the SATs, particularly at KS1 only have one more year to run, as threatened last month. They're very useful to teachers at KS2 and moreso KS3 but I think the KS1 tests are just too much for kids. DS1 (also in reception) is academically very able and his language is improving constantly and is almost age appropriate, these days, but he can't sit still for 2 minutes, never mind sit a test and I doubt he'll find it much easier in 2.5 years time.

anonandlikeit Fri 03-Oct-08 22:12:26

depends entirely on the school I think, When ds1 (nt) did ks1 sats we didn't know a thing about them & neither did he.
The school just built them in to the lesson times & only because they had.
I'm hoping they'll be equally relaxed about them when ds2 is in yr2, he's yr 1 at the moment & is just at the scribbling stage!

TBH its one thing I won't be complaining about if he isn't included.. Bloody worthless assessment of 6 yr olds IMHO!

kennythekangaroo Fri 03-Oct-08 22:57:34

She won't do them. If the teacher's assessment suggests it wold not be appropriate to take a written test then she doesn't need to do one. Especially if she has a statement.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: