Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Fish oils

(16 Posts)
KarenThirl Tue 01-Mar-05 10:47:17

Post script to my earlier post. Last year I was giving J Eye Q but have read lots of negative reports about it (mostly on Mumsnet). I've seen some of you mention Eskimo Kids - anyone use it and what's the difference between that and Eye Q? IIRC the brands vary the ratio of Omega 3 to 6 and that can make a difference to mental stimulus - is that right?

Also, where can I buy Eskimo Kids online?

beccaboo Tue 01-Mar-05 11:06:14

Hi Karen

You can buy Eskimo Oil online from nutricentre. The kids version has some additives I think, the adult version has less but doesn't taste too good, I have problems getting ds to take it. I mainly give him hemp oil as this tastes a bit better.

Also, if you search on the special needs board for this topic I think there are a few previous discussions with lots of info. I can't remember what this difference is with Eye Q, but you might find out from there.

reiki Tue 01-Mar-05 19:06:57

HI
I GIVE MY KIDS EFELEX AND IT WORKS GREAT!

Saker Tue 01-Mar-05 19:48:14

I use Eskimo oil for ds2. It doesn't taste great to me but you only need one spoon as it is quite concentrated. He takes it more readily than Calpol which I find amazing. I don't think it does have many additives - the list of ingredients is :
natural fish oil, natural rapeseed oil, vit D, vit E, antioxidants (lecithin and ascorbyl palmitate), natural flavouring.

we get it from www.nutriworld.co.uk

reiki Tue 01-Mar-05 20:22:33

hi saker

what are the levels of DHA and EPA in this ESKIMO
OIL. If its more then EFELEX i might see if i can get it!
thanks

Saker Tue 01-Mar-05 21:11:04

Hi Reiki

In 5ml spoon
epa 410mg
dha 280mg
ala 230mg
omega-6 510mg
omega-9 1400mg

hope that helps

Chocol8 Tue 01-Mar-05 21:20:52

I used to give my ds EyeQ and it worked really well, but as soon as I stopped them (had run out) he went off the rails and I got a beating.

After realising what it was I changed to Eskimo Kids and ds loves it (better than taking 4 tabs a day). It has loads (technical!) more epa etc than EyeQ. I can buy it locally but a big bottle costs £16.95 for 210ml which divided by 5ml = 42. So quite economical really.

reiki Tue 01-Mar-05 21:26:45

oh wow
thats alot of EPA

thanks
jo

toomanypushchairs Tue 01-Mar-05 21:44:28

Does this Eskimo kids stuff come in capsule form? my ds is 7 and takes efalex capsules, they cost a fortune but I don't think he would take the liquid.

bambi06 Tue 01-Mar-05 21:51:46

liquid form and my son happily takes it..yukky though!!

Chocol8 Wed 02-Mar-05 08:08:03

Think eskimo oil only comes in liquid form, but my ds loves it - it has the taste of bubble gum!

reiki Wed 02-Mar-05 16:23:15

MY SON TAKES EFELEX LIQUID AND I PUT IT IN HIS JUICE. BECAUSE ITS CITRUS HE CANT TASTE IT IN ORANGE JUICE!!!

onlyjoking9329 Wed 02-Mar-05 21:48:15

my DS has the eskimo oil capsules, got them on line somewhere but cant remember where google it, good luck

charlie95 Thu 03-Mar-05 08:51:03

i was wondering why/how there is so much more epa etc in eskimo oil than eye q ?
it seems to be a much higher concentrate - its not too much is it ? or not dangerous ?
i been giving ds eye q for a year but havent been giving as regular as i was this time last year. he likes though so no complaints there.

JillyW Thu 03-Mar-05 14:55:10

can eskimo kids be bought anywhere other than on line?

reiki Fri 04-Mar-05 22:34:16

I TRIED TO OREDER ESKIMO OIL THROUGH BOOTS BUT NO LUCK...ALTHOUGH I Q AND EFELEX ON THREE FOR TWO. AND THE NEW HALIBORANCE CAPSULES ARE NICE!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now