Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

finally, I'm a very proud "mummy," hooray!

(24 Posts)
kt14 Mon 29-Sep-08 11:53:00

ds1 (3.1) hfa/lang disorder has never got the hang of calling me mummy, I've been diddy, addy, bibby, bubby and other variations for absolutely ages and had almost given up hope of ever hearing it.

But - yesterday morning I was upstairs getting dressed when I heard him downstairs shouting, clear as a bell, "mummy, mummy" and he came upstairs with arms outstretched and said "mummy, ugg" and gave me a huge cuddle.

It made me feel so thrilled and I know you'll all understand why!

magso Mon 29-Sep-08 11:58:02

Wow! - he wanted a hug!

kt14 Mon 29-Sep-08 12:01:02

that or he's inherited my ugg boot obsession!!

TotalChaos Mon 29-Sep-08 12:04:10

well done DS!

siblingrivalry Mon 29-Sep-08 12:09:31

Aaw, well done to your ds. That must have made your week!smile

dustystar Mon 29-Sep-08 13:19:42

grin thats lovely

Seuss Mon 29-Sep-08 19:34:51

grincool!

Saturn74 Mon 29-Sep-08 19:36:43

Excellent! smile

kt14 Mon 29-Sep-08 19:41:22

thanks everyone, it's a double whammy on the proud stakes as he's had his first day at preschool in big boy pants after weeks of stressing on my part over whether he's ready. And he was! Just one small accident and three potty successes. Double hooray!!

cyberseraphim Mon 29-Sep-08 19:52:46

That's lovely ! DS1 here now comes up to ask for a 'kiss'

ps are Ugg boots waterproof ? I'm thinking about buying some but I'm not sure.

kt14 Mon 29-Sep-08 20:27:08

Uggs don't let the water in, but they're not really waterproof as such. I try to avoid wearing mine on really rainy days but the odd shower doesn't hurt.
Just bought the dark grey ones, they're my new favourite. So so comfortable.
Do be careful if you buy off ebay rhough, have just returned some "guaranteed authentic" sand coloured ones which were totally fake.

lingle Mon 29-Sep-08 21:32:02

Print out this thread kt14 and put it in the attic. You may be able to reassure a daughter in law about your grandson one day smile

I get called "daddy" but occasionally mummy.

Tclanger Mon 29-Sep-08 21:32:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sphil Mon 29-Sep-08 21:48:23

That's lovely - we're still waiting for this from DS2. He knows I'm Mummy, and will say it if asked 'who's this?' but never calls me (or anyone) anything, iyswim.

ouryve Mon 29-Sep-08 22:11:06

Heee! DS1 used to call me anything but mummy - usually after his favourite TV character of the moment. I was Jocie Jump, Susie Sheep and when I was very, very pregnant, Daddy Pig! It was nice to finally be Mummy

deeeja Mon 29-Sep-08 22:44:41

That is fantastic!
Also very funny about all the different names you have been called ouryve.
My 3.6 year old ds has autism, and knows I am called Mummy, but has not said it to me, or called me it.
We have a new kitten, and he puts his head on her pillow next to her face and says, 'Sasha', clear as a bell. JEALOUS, MOI?
Well, maybe I am next...
Must be lovely, am really pleased for you!
smile
Happy Eid! It is tomorrow. Am stupidly excited, got new brio for the kids, and an Asus notebook for my 5 year old ds. I must remember the brio is for the boys, hehehehe!

kt14 Tue 30-Sep-08 14:02:18

Thanks everyone for your lovely comments! LOL at being called Daddy Pig while pg.. !!

Lingle, it would be a real dream come true to be able to look back on all of this one day and the worry just be a distant memory. He's had such a spurt of improvement in the past fortnight and I'm so pleased, but we still have a very big mountain to climb.

He's had his first accident free morning at preschool today, it's taken 4 weeks of gentle potty training and I think we're finally there, thank goodness!!

And deeja, happy Eid (although I must confess I'm not really sure what it is, but you make it sound great!)

streakybacon Tue 30-Sep-08 14:22:56

Lovely news, no wonder you're feeling proud.

mm22bys Tue 30-Sep-08 14:37:05

Kt14, that is just fab!

lingle Tue 30-Sep-08 15:24:26

KT14, congrats re potty training, we tried potty training for 24 hours at the weekend.

Then we stopped.

Largely, frankly, because we were BORED!!! And we are LAZY. And helping him talk is using up all our supermummy and superdaddy juices.

But will try again when he's at school nursery 5 mornings a week (as then it will be partly their problem wink

kt14 Tue 30-Sep-08 19:58:57

Thanks lingle, and yes, potty training is dull and if we hadn't had some fairly rapid success (and wipeable wooden floors throughout the ground floor) we'd have knocked it on the head for a while too.

And preschool have been great, they use a timer and take him every 20 minutes. Was concerned he'd be too distracted playing to remember to go.

How's it going with your ds' speech?

lingle Tue 30-Sep-08 20:11:52

well, we're making definite progress on the two-word combinations.

he's cracked [item] +"gone".

also [specific colour] + [object so long as it's a car].

and still lots of "more" +[item]+ please

And he only gets tickles or turned upside down on verbal request now, which he loves. ["more tickle please"]

And more and more two word "phrase" combos that you hope prefigure "real" two word combos, eg "open door", "open box", "where's Doggie?"

So we're making slow slow progress as ever. Now that I use the Hanen techniques (as opposed to my old strategy of constantly saying "what's that?" which was pointless), he talks to me all day - so that's good. Though Hanen has also showed me that his "real" vocabulary used for real communication was even smaller than I thought.

He's broken all the stereos so only gets recorded music in the car! So if I leave mumsnet, it's because he's finally achieved his dream of breaking into the computer!

how's your lad's?

kt14 Wed 01-Oct-08 14:42:58

lingle that sounds like great progress!

I think I need the hanen techniques as we're a bit stuck on disjointed sentences at the moment. He needs prompting an awful lot -it's kind of ds1 "more", me "more what", him - "K's" (special k!) and then me, "what do you say?" him - "please"
But we do have "I want to go outside", "I want the potty" "I want another drink" "there's another dog" etc.
He's getting the hang of opposites, up and down, in and out, stop and go etc.

I'm just getting him to nod yes as well as shake head for no, and to ask for help when he's stuck with something.

His communicative language is definitely improving and he can tell me what he wants in words now, even though it's very disjointed. He's also started with very basic humour, pointing to a snowman and saying "he's hot", me saying "no, he's cold", him saying, "no, he's hot" cue ds1 laughing like a drain..

We are seeing a brand new SALT on Monday so we'll see what she suggests.

lingle Wed 01-Oct-08 15:13:49

so he's cracked "I want" +[what he wants]?
that's great. That's a big deal.

DS2 uses "more" to mean "want" - as a direct result of my pre Hanen-book "schooling" unfortunately. Must ask the SALT whether I should just accept this for the time being....

apparently he has a friend at the private nursery! yay! they chase eachother and giggle a lot apparently....no conversations but hey you knew that...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now