Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Jimjams, how is your Marion Blank programme going?

(8 Posts)
moondog Sat 27-Sep-08 19:50:43

I have been asked if I can help with similar sounding child on same sort of thing.......can you share anything with me please?

(Either here or on email)

Thanks

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Sat 27-Sep-08 20:21:55

I can't really say what to do as it's too detailed and very particular - I think the feedback from her is important too. There's another mnetter doing it as well btw.

We're still on pre-reading -- although have finished two (out of 4) of the activities.

It's absolutely ideal for a child who is non-verbal or who has limited language because it's accessible. In ds1's case he;'s flown through most of the activities (except the receptive language which he's struggled with - although getting better - verbs are a bit o a mystery to him)- his biggest problem has been behaving to Marion's standards. It's the first thing we've done that I've felt has been at his level tbh. Usually we end up scraping around the bottom of things not moving forwards because ds1 doesn't have the language to move on. Marion's programme takes fully on board that lack of language.

Marion says her programme provides a system by which children learn language. I don't know whether that's true for every child but I can say that in the last month ds1 seems to have started a bit of a language explosion. He is using all the signs he has - and is adding new ones all the time, he has started to put signs together. Has produced his first proper spoken word (Mummy) and since yesterday has started to echo words (so added another word today- chips). He's also said Yuk, but I don't count that as I'm not sure whether he said it with meaning. Of course it might be coincidence but he's had 9 years to do this and hasn't before.

Email me if you want more specific details (I'm away at a conference for a few days though) or email her!

moondog Sat 27-Sep-08 20:35:01

Oh thanks for this. smile
Sounds v. encouraging.
I did actually follow your links to her site when yuo first spoke of it.
Am also aware of your posts re him saying 'mummy'. Putting two signs together...wow.

Child is not on my caseload but someone thought I may be able to help on one off basis. I think Headsprout is too much for her.

Mother is v v on the ball (running home programme) so it would prob. be appropriate to let her follow this up herself. I know you are busy.

While you are about, have you ever been to a Vince Crbone workshop?

sphil Sat 27-Sep-08 20:54:55

Wow Jimjams! I know you're cautious, but this sounds so positive smile.

Moondog, I haven't been on a VC workshop but Growing Minds work quite closely with him and one of Ds2's ABA tutors went on his course earlier this year. She brought back lots of stuff for me and there's also some interesting info here, which you may well have already seen.

I'm sure there's someone else on here who's been to a VC workshop but can't remember who. Electra?

moondog Sat 27-Sep-08 20:56:57

Thanks Sphil. I don't know that one. It looks useful!
(Trouble with ABA work is pay so crap and no career structure. A sick joke considering how on the ball thouse who work in the field need to be.)

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Sat 27-Sep-08 22:12:21

Never been on a VC workshop- but like Sphil did GM.

Oh definitely pass on the details to the mum and I'd be happy to reply to an email.

If Headsprout is too advanced Marion's programme sounds ideal for her. I've only looked at level 2 of headsprout but it was way above ds1's level - and he's whizzing through light in literacy.

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Sat 27-Sep-08 22:29:58

Actually another interesting thing. As I said we're in pre-reading, which means that we've been teaching the skills necessary for reading without actually attempting to do any.

Today ds1 went up to a few road signs and places his hand under the letters and moved them from left to right and then looked at me to say the word. Some of this may well come from PECS as well, but again it's brand new.

moondog Sun 28-Sep-08 13:16:09

Thanks again
Gosh everything your ds is doing seems so exciting!! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now