Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

I need a practical course

(4 Posts)
nikos Fri 26-Sep-08 10:53:30

I've done the more that words course and found that hugely beneficial in giving me practical tools to help ds and he has come on in leaps and bounds.
So I decided to take it to the next level and enrol in an MA. But having started it I'm realising that although I would enjoy it, it's not what ds needs right now as it is too theoretical.
He's 4 with probably HFA/AS and he needs me sitting on the floor with him teaching play and social skills. Does anyone know of anything around that would give me practical skills to deal with autism?

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Fri 26-Sep-08 12:03:31

Well you could do something like Floortime, or RDI or ABA training. Will depend on how far you can travel etc.

nikos Fri 26-Sep-08 12:34:19

Thanks Jimjams, I'll google those and see where there are courses. Is ABA good for more high functioning children?

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Fri 26-Sep-08 12:50:42

It depends really on what you are working on. ABA can be very good, but a lot of families of HF kids seem to like RDI.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now