Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

fed up with my childs behaviour, don't know what the problem is

(14 Posts)
triggerfish Thu 25-Sep-08 22:04:23

First time on mumsnet, friend recommended I may get some helpful advice here!
DS1 has periods of great behaviour (sometimes for months) and then something changes and he becomes hideous and unbearable. His behaviour affects him at school so he will not cooperate unless the whole situation goes his way. We don't know what triggers the change. It has been suggested that he may have Asperges?

Dragonbutter Thu 25-Sep-08 22:10:29

bumping for my friend. smile

Dragonbutter Thu 25-Sep-08 22:21:43

really, nobody around?

Tclanger Thu 25-Sep-08 22:23:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

triggerfish Thu 25-Sep-08 22:30:16

He really doesn't cope with sudden change - he needs lots of preparation for new situations. He needs to know he has a 'get out' from situations. He may manipulate situations to achieve this. He gets very angry if asked to do something when he's not ready. He can't control his anger very well - extreme behaviour compared to his peers.

triggerfish Fri 26-Sep-08 00:10:40

I find it exhausting having to always think of ways to distract him from confrontation. Having tricks up my sleeve just to get him away from places and to get in the car. I feel like just screaming sometimes and yelling at him to get in the car NOW! I know that would only make things worse.

Tclanger Fri 26-Sep-08 07:59:38

Tclanger Fri 26-Sep-08 08:00:32

triggerfish Fri 26-Sep-08 21:36:45

Hi there, there was no delay in speech and all other areas of development. Infact he was and still is way ahead of his peers. He is very bright with a language/reading age of about 3 years ahead of his age. The thing that has always been an issue is his inability to cope with social/group situations. If he doesn't feel confident, theres no convincing him it will be ok until he wants to take part!

triggerfish Fri 26-Sep-08 21:41:15

Forgot to mention about changing classes/teachers! It all depends on the first impressions. If they set very clear outlines and boundaries, he knows where he stands from the outset. But if they spring things on him in a casual way, he will not comply at all. Sitting under tables etc.. is not uncommon in these situations, especially for supply teachers who he doesn't know so well. He definately plays the system so he is in control.

Tclanger Fri 26-Sep-08 22:04:37

triggerfish Fri 26-Sep-08 22:15:07

thanks for your advice, its really helpful just chatting about it. I'm struggling with all the abbreviations but hopefully it will make sense soon?!

Tclanger Fri 26-Sep-08 22:22:59

triggerfish Fri 26-Sep-08 22:27:50

that helps!! thankyou!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now