Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Sensory Integration - Does anyone know anything about it?

(15 Posts)
mumgoingcrazy Thu 25-Sep-08 20:47:23

Hello, I'm quite new to mumsnet so I'm not sure if I should have started a new thread on this as it's sort of carried on from another I started but, does anyone know about Sensory Integration.

Another mn has suggested the book 'Sensory Integration and the Child', but wanted to know if anyone had any other tips.

DD2 (15mo) is tactile defensive and her reluctance to touch or be touched has seriously hindered her motor skills and has a dx of GDD. Her lack of motor skills has affected her cognitive and self help. The only thing she is ok on is language (at the last assessment, however still not saying anything). I'd be really interested to hear anyones views on this. What it is, how it helps, parental tips.

DD2 currently receives weekly Physio, OT, SALT and Portage.

iwearflairs Thu 25-Sep-08 21:28:49

My DS has Sensory Integration Therapy via his London-based OT. He is undergoing assessment at the moment but probably has AS/HFA. He has been receiving it for about a year now and it has helped him a good deal. He is slightly tactile defensive, has delayed motor skills, oral motor issues and motor planning issues - his sensory processing is a bit out of whack generally.

Jean Ayres if the name of the woman who introduced this method of therapy and it is a specific post-graduate training. The books I know if that are most often cited to me are The Out of Sync Child and Sensational Kids, both by Carol Stock Kranowitz. The basic idea is that through play-based activities children are given the sensory experiences that their brain needs to learn how to process in a controlled way, thus laying a foundation in the brain for more normalised processing. There is also a booked called The Out of Sync Child Has Fun, which is a list of exercises and games parents and carers can do to reinforce the therapy.

HTH - perhaps you could talk to your OT about it?

mumgoingcrazy Thu 25-Sep-08 21:39:38

Hello iwearflairs, thank you for this info. What does AS/HFA mean? sorry I'm not up with all the abbreviations yet and it's not on the aconyms list.

The more I read about sensory integration the more I think this is what DD2 has. How old if your DS? I'm not entirely sure what oral motor issues are and can you give me any examples of 'out of whack' sensory processing he does? Sorry to fire all these questions at you but I feel the light has just come on and finally I might be getting to the bottom of these issues she has.

We're on holiday next week but I will definately be speaking to the It about this what I get back.

mumgoingcrazy Thu 25-Sep-08 21:40:44

I meant OT not It in my last post!

iwearflairs Thu 25-Sep-08 22:06:37

HI there - so many acronyms arent there? AS/HFA = Aspergers Syndrome/High Functioning Autism (there are many similarities so they are often lumped together, and in our case we don't yet have a final diagnosis so I have to hedge) Sensory Integration Disorder is the same thing as Sensory Processing Disorder - it was renamed, just to confuse people. You can google it under both. My understanding is that it can exist on its own but more often than not is co-morbid with other conditions, especially with autism. I don't know enough about GDD to know how it features within that diagnosis.

My dS's sensory processing difficulties include auditory processing (can't tolerate certain noises, hypersensitive hearing); some tactile defensiveness, difficulties interpreting messages from his body and vestibular balance system making him uncoordinated and reckless; sensory seeking - makes him impulsively grab, squeeze, climb, touch things; oral motor difficulties include difficulties chewing and dribbling; quite a long list have aprobably missed out one or two and sensory issues vary hugely from child to child, so more than likely that my DS's sensory-motor profile is unlike that your DS.

good luck

moondog Thu 25-Sep-08 22:09:11

There isn't really any convincing evidence to support SIT, much as i would like there to be.
I'm a salt and we reviewed it as part of my MSc in ABA course.

sarah293 Fri 26-Sep-08 13:57:34

Message withdrawn

BriocheDoree Fri 26-Sep-08 14:11:01

Riven, poor you. That must cause friction between DS1 and DD...how do you cope? My DD used to be really noise intolerant but appears to be growing out of some of it. The other day DS's nursery asked me why I never let him fall asleep to music. Couldn't really tell them it's cause his sister would have a meltdown - hardly what you want to relax a baby to sleep!
DD is quite sensory seeking and often needs massage to get her to sleep. She's very cuddly smile

Tclanger Fri 26-Sep-08 14:16:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cyberseraphim Fri 26-Sep-08 17:19:19

I don't know much about AIT/SIT but the same criticism is made of ABA - that the only truly randomised trial did not provide evidence to support the view that it is more effective than other 1-1 therapies. I'm sure the approaches mentioned above can help to some extent, I find play based therapy useful.

moondog Fri 26-Sep-08 19:01:59

Cyber, that is bollocks re ABA.
Who told you that?
Nothing comes close to it in terms of being backed up by countless rock solid research.

That and Direct Instruction are really the only way to go in my clinical opinion.

Read about 'Project Followthrough' (biggest educational experiment ever) and feel yuor heart sink as to why we still teach in the crap way we do to kids with SN.

(Easy to find basics by Googling)

moondog Fri 26-Sep-08 19:02:53

And as for evidence backing up play based therapy.
Sorry, it doesn't cut the mustard (although on an ind. level people may find it useful)

Saker Fri 26-Sep-08 19:05:13

I have often wondered with the ABA research whether has anyone followed the children who participated in the ABA studies into adulthood and looked at outcomes? Do they function as neurotypical adults?

cyberseraphim Fri 26-Sep-08 19:30:31

The paper is at

autismcrisis.blogspot.com/2007/08/autism-and-aba-in-uk-controlled-trial.html

The psychiatrists running our play therapy have published their research too - don't know if it is online or not. The claims they make though are hesitant and guarded - shared attention may increase, sharing may increase. There are no claims that language or developmental normality will necessarily follow. But given the range of abilities and problems on the spectrum, it is difficult for anyone to do more than that.

mumgoingcrazy Wed 08-Oct-08 19:39:02

I've just got a question for moondog, you said earlier that there wasn't enough evidence to support SIT, if it isn't recognised and DD2 seems to totally fit the bill, what other problem would it be? Autism? Thanks

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: