Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

So, what happens whe n they finish school?

(5 Posts)
TopBitch Thu 25-Sep-08 10:28:44

I'm getting nervous, what do I do with dd when she stops school? What age requirement do your childrens school have (for leaving I mean)? Do the schools have leaving programs or anything?

DD is 12, so I have a while left, but I'm still wondering?

RTKangaMummy Thu 25-Sep-08 10:34:30

My best friend has a son with DS who has just started a 2 year BTEC life skiils course at college

He is 16 and really enjoying it

smile

saint2shoes Thu 25-Sep-08 11:30:42

dd is 13 and I have just received a big wad of stuff to read about transition. hopefully she will stay at her school untill 19.
I am also meeting with the SW to get and idea of SS involvement.

Bramshott Thu 25-Sep-08 11:40:48

Is she in Special School or mainstream TB? My mum teaches 14-16 year olds in an SLD school and most go onto some sort of college course. The school should have info. Do Adult Opportunity Centres still exist?

lainey1802 Thu 25-Sep-08 11:44:01

My son is 15 and the school has a FE unit up to age 19 - I know not all schools have this set up but it's worth asking whats about in your area and the first place to ask would be your existing school. There is a website www.natspec.org.uk that my social worker suggested to me that is supposed to be helpful for following on from school (16) with colleges etc. You should have a transition worker from social services get involved at age 14 and they should attend the school reviews etc and be able to inform you on whats out there - hope this helps!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now