Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

shit

(14 Posts)
saint2shoes Wed 24-Sep-08 21:44:53

sorry only title I could think of.
dd is at respite to night. her keyworker rang to tell me dd was in pain, she is all bunged up. poor thing sounded it, spoke to nurse and they are giving her a pesseray, so fingers crossed.
dd is on senna and 20 ml(10 am/pm) lactulose.
she is fine at weekends/holidays when she is with us. but during the week and at respite she rarely goes.
any ideas??
I have her MDR on friday so will have her doc and nurse in the same room.

TotalChaos Wed 24-Sep-08 21:47:49

could she be deliberately holding on at all so she can poo at home where she is most comfortable? or does she eat/drink differently with you, which promotes her pooing?

saint2shoes Wed 24-Sep-08 21:49:30

I think it is kind of normal behaviour(omg d normal silly me) most dc's only go at home. I don't think it is deliberate though.

magso Wed 24-Sep-08 21:59:14

I give ds calpol if he is very uncomfy/ distressed. (I do not know if that is ok for your dd)It seems to have some useful affect other than pain relief. We always have problems a couple of weeks into each term too because of the only going at home problem.
(We recently changed from senna and lactulose to paediatric movicol and although the change over was difficult I think for ds it suits better)

saint2shoes Wed 24-Sep-08 22:13:41

how does the movicol work?

r3dh3d Wed 24-Sep-08 22:44:03

Movicol is fairly similar to lactulose in that it's a supplement that works by lubricating the stool and making it easier to shift along, rather than having any irritant or "medical" effect on the bowel. I think it is a type of PEG (Polyethylene glycol) ie a fairly inert petrochemical type compound.

My gut feel (ha ha ha) is that it is slightly more effective than lactulose and only prescribed second because it is slightly more expensive to prescribe. You can get lactulose OTC after all.

Movicol (ime) can be prescribed in humungous doses to shift fecal impaction or can be scaled down to teeny tiny amounts and still work, so again is much like lactulose in thta respect. DD1 is (after a bit of trial and error) on about 1/4 of the minimum prescribed dose "as needed" ie in case of actual constipation.

saint2shoes Wed 24-Sep-08 22:47:26

thanks for that, I will mention it on friday and see what the doc says.
(never sure if she is a doctor or pead, but she is good, nurse is nice but whispers)

Tclanger Thu 25-Sep-08 08:15:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

magso Thu 25-Sep-08 09:01:34

Movicol is a powder that is mixed with water (or other drink) - so different administration. We changed inpart because ds has teeth decay possibly from years of sugary senna syrup.

saint2shoes Thu 25-Sep-08 11:09:03

she has been
the pessary worked.
but thanks for the info, I will bring it up tomorrow

magso Thu 25-Sep-08 11:29:47

Whew!!

Tclanger Thu 25-Sep-08 13:44:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

delllie Thu 25-Sep-08 18:31:56

Another vote for movicol here, my dd has had problems since birth 'going', and has been on all the usual laxatives with limited effect really. Finally she was prescribed movicol about 12 months ago after a couple of hospital admissions and she hasn't had a problems since (furiously touching wood now!!) and only needs the one sachet as oppossed to the 2 she can have

saint2shoes Thu 25-Sep-08 18:56:25

she is home and all smiley

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now